Monday, October 23, 2023

Song In the Night

Image by Eva Schmidseder from Pixabay

Though your music will always be a part of me,

I will always be apart from you.

I know I could have loved you,

But you would have been a fool to let me.

I want to love but it turns out wrong, 

Better to leave such desires in song.

I keep my feet planted firmly on the ground

In the ordinary world.

But sometimes I still dream

About me, who secretly wishes I knew you when I was young.

About you, gone from this world.

About something between you and me

That can never be

Except in dreams

Where souls brimful of love abide and meet.

In dreams, we are forever young

With thirsting, longing eyes.

I wanted you to be my rock and roll dream,

but I would have been your worst nightmare.

For when I close my eyes I see

Blood and roses

Far more often

Than I see paradise.

notes

https://experiencewriting.com/2023/10/23/oct-23-prompts-music-of-the-night/

Prompt: For today’s poem think about the people, places, and things that make up your night music, and in your poem “Meet them there.”

Songs and poems referenced:

Silver Springs

1976

Songwriter: Stevie Nicks

Performed by: Fleetwood Mac

Blood and Roses

1986

Songwriter:

Pat DiNizio

Performed by: Smithereens

Ordinary World

1992

Songwriter: Simon LeBon

Performed by: Duran Duran

Wish I Knew You

2016

Written and performed by The Revivalists

Echo

1854

Christina Rossetti

First publication A Goblin Market and Other Poems (1862).

Rock N Roll Dream

2008

Songwriters: Angus Young/Malcolm Young 

Performed by: AC/DC

Sweet Dreams

2009

Songwriters: BeyoncĂ© Knowles, James Scheffer, Wayne Wilkins, Rico Love

Performed by: Beyoncé Knowles

Image by Artie_Navarre from Pixabay


This post was backdated because I was working to finish my contentious story for the First Coast Romance Writers winter anthology. 

Is the story worth the hassle it caused me?

Pre-order a copy of the anthology and judge for yourself on December 6! You can order after December 6, but why not take advantage of the $3.99 pre-order price?

Proceeds benefit the First Coast Romance Writers, an independent non-profit organization helping writers hone their craft and expand their knowledge of the publishing industry.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.