Friday, October 2, 2015

OctPoWriMo 2015: Day 2: Stolen Words


My words have been stolen


My thoughts all erased


A shadow wearing my image


Has taken my place


There's no way back in


Somehow I've lost the key


Although I no longer remember


Please don't forget about me

Images by Cie
Words by Adam

Notes:
I almost feel bad for sharing a poem about a grim subject like dementia after the praise I received for my overall positive poem yesterday. However, although one can see the beauty in the clouds and in nature, somber things like dementia and mental illness still exist, and I do not shy away from discussing them.

Today's writing prompt at OctPoWriMo suggested taking a favorite scene from a movie or a music video, turning the sound off, and seeing what thoughts were inspired viewing the silent clip. At first I was going to do a funny bit from the old Batman/Superman cartoon, but then I was reminded that one of my favorite musicians (and overall favorite people) has had his voice stolen from him by an incurable illness which destroys not only body but mind. I knew I had to write about this.
Using some of the Photoshop images that Cie has created over time to honor Malcolm, I created the above poem. I tried to keep it simple and to see the incident through my subject's eyes. He was a humble person. He was courageous. He put others' needs before his own.
He never stopped fighting against the odds. He won against addiction to alcohol, though unfortunately not against addiction to nicotine. He wrestled with depression and social anxiety and was victorious. He approached the devastating dementia diagnosis the way he approached everything else in life: by going up against it with determination and dignity.
One might say that this is a battle that he did not and could not win. I disagree. Yes, the disease process has destroyed his ability to function in this world. Yes, the disease process will eventually kill his physical body. However, the disease is not and will never be victorious over one with such a determined spirit. 
One day we will eradicate such diseases. For now, it is important that we continue to remember those whose lives have been devastated by these illnesses, to not sweep the subject of dementia under the rug because it's depressing to think about. We need to remember, and we need to come out swinging and keep fighting until such diseases are no more.

With Hope,
Adam


36 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem and beautiful words too.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very powerful write ... I've read about Malcom ... such a sad sad situation - I think you did very well reminding us that life is not only fluffy clouds and happy endings. Bastet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of crying eyes on the Team Netherworld side when we found out about this situation. Such a helpless feeling, nothing to be done but send love and positive energy. As a Buddhist, I believe that things happen for a reason. Sometimes I'm hard pressed to see the reason, although I do take into account what team member Dolly has said about Malcolm being a teacher rather than strictly an entertainer. There is certainly a powerful lesson to be learned from this situation.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you posted about this topic Adam. Honestly, with the new eyes that often come during a challenge month, it's a great time to spread the word about some of the causes close to our hearts. I think the style you've chosen, with Cie's photos is perfect. The message doesn't come across as a "downer" at all. ~ k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We really appreciate it!
      :-)

      Delete
  4. You have penned it beautifully. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad but beautiful poem. One day we will find a cure and get back the memories that dementia takes away from us by force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope this is a case. I have seen too many minds stolen by these terrible disease processes. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. You have touched a topic which cringes the soul. The thought of just forgetting everything sends a shiver down the spine. But we cannot escape from the reality. Thank you for this amazing write and the pics added value to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, losing my cognitive abilities would be worse than facing a terminal physical illness. I've seen it happen to so many people. It's a terrible thing.
      Thanks for visiting, on behalf of Adam.

      Delete
  7. With lots of pictures your words got extra meaningful,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Adam, and Cie (the creator of the pictures.)

      Delete
  8. The tough topics need to be spoken of as well as the positive. How can we understand and appreciate the sun's warmth if we've never known cold? Enjoy success if we've never known failure? Just as great as yesterday...just different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--Adam captured Yin and Yang in his two poems!
      Thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  9. This is beautiful because it's so heartfelt. You got into the mind of someone who is forgetting who they are and asking them to remind that person of the depths of their soul, if that makes sense lol. Lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense to me, Lori. Thank you so much for visiting, on behalf of Adam. :-)

      Delete
  10. OH. This: "A shadow wearing my image"
    So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you have interpreted the story - the images, the words: heart-wrenching but beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. A powerful statement! I agree, not only the "light" things but all things can and, the right time, should be addressed; I think you did a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Adam.
      It can be tempting to ignore the shadow side, but since it will find us anyway, I feel it is best to acknowledge it. One cannot fight an enemy that one denies the existence of.

      Delete
  13. A very tough subject to write about. I commend you for writing this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Adam.
      It's scary to think about the fact that there are diseases which not only destroy the body but take away a person's mind as well. This guy was absolutely brilliant, and at least in the physical world, he is now left with nothing. It's heartbreaking.

      Delete
  14. Thank you to everyone who commented on Adam's wonderful poem. I'm so flattered that he was inspired by the images that I have created, which were inspired by a beautiful person who has meant so much to me in this lifetime. Adam is a very busy guy and doesn't get to participate here as often as he, or the rest of us at Team Netherworld would like. He always has such compassion and wonderful insights.
    I will come by and visit each of your blogs. Thank you for visiting ours!
    Cie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Cie. I know what Malcolm means to you. It's heartbreaking that this is happening to such a beautiful and kind soul.

      Delete
  15. As a gent in that certain age range, I'm a longtime fan of Malcolm Young. When he's mentioned at all outside of music circles, he gets described using adjectives like "enigmatic," or he ends up getting categorized as some sort of devil worshiper.
    The former statement is inaccurate, and the latter is ridiculous. There was never anything "enigmatic" about Malcolm. He was simply shy. He was also intelligent and something of a perfectionist. I feel that he was far more nerdy than enigmatic. I don't say this as an insult; I identify as a nerd myself. All hail nerds!
    As for the "devil worshiper" rumors, those were started by a group of superstitious fools channeling their overactive imaginations in hateful directions. On one hand, their assertions are laughable. On the other hand, their assertions were hurtful to a very sensitive and kind-hearted person who always tried to treat others with compassion.
    Perhaps the people who make such assertions should reflect and consider who is actually behaving in an evil manner: the musician with the cheeky sense of humor trying to bring a smile to people's faces and let them forget their troubles for a time, or the hateful rumor-monger spreading unsubstantiated and sensationalized scuttlebutt. You decide.
    I am saddened that such an awful thing has happened to such a fundamentally decent person. However, I know that he is the sort of person who, rather than saying "why me" when faced with this devastating diagnosis said "why not me?" He didn't think he was superior to anyone else, which is what made him better than a lot of people.
    I hope for his soul to find peace, and I hope that when he is released from this life, he will be able to look back and realize all the good that he did, and I hope that it makes him smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone ever bothered to really look at the members of that band, and they certainly didn't bother to find out anything about them. Malcolm and Angus both seemed to be rather naive overall, and they also seem like the sort of people who, had they ever gone "dark side" and stolen a pack of gum, they would have been so guilt-ridden that they'd have gone back and paid five times what it was worth.
      I remember hearing about how Malcolm called Bon's mother after Bon died because he didn't want her to hear about Bon's death on the news. He felt that it was important that she hear it from someone who had been a friend to her son. That must have been so hard for him to do, and I was always very touched by the fact that he would do something like that. How people could say that someone like that was evil is beyond me. Some people are just plain stupid.

      Delete
    2. I could just see that. "We forgot to pay for this pack of gum. We're sorry! Will ten quid cover it?"
      I think we tend to see entertainers as very worldly when in fact a lot of them are very naive. Michael Jackson comes to mind.

      Delete
  16. I know he's overshadowed by his loony younger brother, but I always liked Malcolm. He had that subtle wit going for him. Also, even though my late husband was Latino and Malcolm is one of those pasty white people that burns if he stands too close to a 60 watt bulb, I always thought he looked a little bit like my Jonny, with the shaggy dark hair and the angular face and slender build. Guess Heaven needs skinny, dark-haired guys who play guitar in the choir. It's hard for me whenever I think about the fact that Jonny's been gone 13 years.
    A beautiful tribute, Adam. Your sensitivity always shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Jonny was a great guy, Des. He is missed.

      Delete
    2. I'm one of those pasty white Scotch-Irish types too, in case it wasn't obvious! X-D

      Delete
    3. Well, they say they've got one hell of a band up there. I'd like to hear them jam!
      Shaye, I am too. ;-)

      Delete
  17. A true angel--always was.
    The day we eradicate those diseases can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet Malcolm--so heartbreaking. He tried so hard to be a good person. I don't know if he has any idea just what a difference he made.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.