Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Behind the Mask

 


you masked your malice
behind a disguise of decency.
what woman would worry
about one so ordinary?

the words "I love you" 
never leaped from your lips.
you presumed the passive-aggressive pap
you connoted as clever
would entice me to you endlessly.

when I expounded "enough!"
ending our exchange,
you agreed to acquaintanceship
of companionable cooperation;

but concealed beneath the costume
of a platonic pact
you yearned for me to be yours,
conniving to continue
a bond that was broken.

when I displayed drunken affection
for a charming co-worker at a Samhain soiree,
you caused a commotion.

I drove home drunk
with you scowling at my side
to prevent pugilism.

arriving at my apartment
you proceeded to present
a picture of your previous paramour.

"she cheated on me," you claimed.
I said I was sorry,
but because we'd broken up
the clinch between my co-worker and me
was inconsistent with infidelity.

with a muddled mind and heavy head
I blundered to my bunk
thinking you would take off.

I didn't go so far as to remove garb or grease paint;
I'd deal with the damage at daylight.
while I settled down to sleep,
you decided to disrobe me.

I was startled from smashed slumber
by a bulky body compressing my chest.
I screamed for you to stop,
though my cries were choked off
by liquor and lack of air.

after accomplishing your attack
of rancorous repayment
for an inane indiscretion
executed by a fragmented fool
of confused character,

you proudly proclaimed
"now we're back together."
then you ambled away,
leaving me shattered
smashed,
splintered,
a shell of myself.

the words "I love you" 
never leaped from your lips.
the proclamation "I possess you,"
was apparent in your actions.

you lived your life 
donning the disguise
of an ordinary man.

meanwhile, my every memory
is assailed by the awareness
that the most maudlin of men
are capable of rape.

without a single second thought
for the ways their wanton wrongdoing
will scar their scapegoat.

Image by Pavlo from Pixabay

I'm not the only one.
One in five women will be sexually assaulted during her lifetime.


Prompt used:

Bring to mind someone you are afraid of and think of something that person would never say.

I can't say I'm afraid of my assailant. I don't think he's going to come find me for an attempt at a repeat performance. I did start the poem with words he never said or would say because I don't think he's capable of the emotion in question.

My attacker isn't present in my conscious mind most of the time. But to say his actions had no effect on me would be a lie. My life was forever changed by what he did to me. 

Poetry form:
Tongue Twister







No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.