Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay
Image Source
Image Source
You see a lot of these critters along the county roads leading to Grover. You have to be careful because sometimes they'll want to cross the road. Unfortunately, I see a fair number of them dead on the roadside. Hitting one would probably total my car, which is one reason I don't like to drive after dark on the Lone Prairie.
And now, on to our Haibun.
In the days of my youth, I loved to party. If anyone asked
me to go out to a club, I’d immediately say “yes.” I loved to drink and dance.
I always dreamed of living in a glorious mansion, the sort
of place that was the toast of the town.
I have always loved the mountains. For most of my life I
lived near the mountains and could not imagine living anywhere else.
The prairie? “Well, how bland and boring is that?” I asked
myself.
Except I never really found the prairie bland and boring. I
was just repeating what I was supposed to think. Still, I could not imagine
living in a place where I couldn’t see the mountains.
Then just this year, I discovered a place a hundred miles
from where I’d lived for many years: a place way out on the prairie.
I no longer see the mountains every day, but I love what I
see now just as much.
My dream home is in a place that I couldn’t have imagined,
far from city nightlife, way out on the prairie. I wouldn’t want it to be
anyplace else, and if you asked me to go clubbing these days, I’d look at you
as if you had three heads because I can imagine few things I’d want to do
less. I prefer to stay home and listen to the wind whistling through the
prairie grass instead.
the whispering wind
billowing the prairie grass
sounds like home to me
~Cie~
Notes:
Ghost Town Grover Sez:
"I liked this here High Bun. I ain't up to writin' no High Bun myself right now, but I got a poem fer y'all.
In the days of old when I mined fer gold
Life shore was excitin'
But these days I prefer an easier life
So the Lone Prairie is more invitin'
Cactus Clem sez:
"I like that Ornery writes poetry that's more rootin' tootin' than High Fallutin'. I ain't never fit in real well with them High Fallutin' folks myself. Which is okay, 'cause I think them high society parties is kinda boring anyways.
I don't like to go to parties
In the high society
'Cause it's a prickly problem
When them fancy folks stick to me





I too moved from the mountains to the prairie. And I have no regrets.
ReplyDeleteI don't either. Plus, if I want to see the mountains, I just drive west for about an hour. If I want to actually go into the mountains, I have to go west for longer. ;-)
DeleteThis is wonderful Cie, reinforcing the fact that change is a constant and home is wherd we feel at home.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteI never felt at home before this. I had places to live (barely, sometimes) but not a home.
Three good ones. I like your haiku very much. It brings peace to read it.
ReplyDeleteThank you! And Grover and Cactus Clem thank you as well. They don't really understand the different poetry types, but they have fun writing rhymes. ;-)
Delete