A Poem for Mr. Poe
by his admirer,
Ms. Morella La Muerte
Photo by Julie Jordan Scott
Edgar, would you climb the stairs with me
Up to the poetry room
We will while away the afternoon
And share the treasures of our minds
We will muse on the demons of our minds
Fears of burial alive
Fears of dying before our time
Fears of remaining alive too long after it
We will speak of dead things rising from tombs
Of crumbling old mansions
Of black cats and red death
Of kingdoms by the sea
Edgar, will you come write with me?
I know the demons from the darkness of your mind
Troubled you greatly as mine do me
We have known the foul tomb of despair
Photo by Julie Jordan Scott
Edgar, would it surprise you to know
That your work was a light in my darkness?
That you inspired me to write rather than take my own life
That you may have done the same for many?
I am sorry for your suffering
I grieve for your despair
But I celebrate your gift to the world
I give thanks that you were here
~Morella La Muerte~




Oh oh oh I love love love this!! Delightful in so many ways. Have you read Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper"? Its a creepy novella, published in 1890. Truly remarkable. She was also inspired by the work of Poe and it is about post partum depression. Changed the way women were treated actually. Your words are vivid and leap off the page. Fabulous homage and so glad the images inspired you!
ReplyDeleteThat book sounds right up Mo's alley--and mine. I'm going to seek it out as well. :-)
DeleteI love this! My baby sister is a huge Poe fan and one of the first dark stories I remember reading was The Pit and the Pendulum. A wonderful tribute.
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly, on behalf of Mo. :-)
DeleteFor a second I read the last lines as
ReplyDeleteBut I celebrate your gift to the world
I give thanks that you were there
but still in the spirit of you thanking him. Like how people can thank a soldier for being in the war, fighting for their freedom.
Very beautiful poem.
Thank you, on behalf of Mo. :-)
DeleteWhat a fabulous piece of poetry! I'm sure Mr. Poe would be loving it!! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteKind thanks, on behalf of Mo. :-)
DeleteThis is delightful!
ReplyDeleteThank you, on behalf of Mo. :-)
DeleteWonderful! There is something appropriately melancholy here.
ReplyDeleteYes, with Poe that is the appropriate emotion. Mo captured it just right! I must wonder if perhaps she was channeling Mr. Poe just a little. ;-)
Delete