Thursday, October 30, 2014

OctPoWriMo 2014: Day 30


On the Day Before

On the day before the end came
There was no discernible antecedent
We knew the time was soon
That was inevitable

But there was no precursor to the event itself
Nothing to preface its coming
We believed that there was still a little time before you left

But while we went home for the night
Your wife, your son and daughter, and your only grandson, the only child of your daughter
Leaving you in the hospice center to rest
The door to the other side opened in front of your weary eyes

You walked through
Free at last from the deterioration
Of your badly compromised body

~Cie~

For my father
May 31, 1936 - November 28, 2010


Notes:

My father suffered from vascular compromise leading to stroke, congestive heart failure and vascular dementia over a period of six years. He was a college professor and he was committed to his daily workouts. In the end he became wheelchair bound, confused and frightened. 
Don't let stereotypes about body type fool you. Hypertension happens to people of all body types. My father was not obese. In fact, out of all of us in the family, I, who am a larger person, did not have hypertension onset until I was in my mid-forties, and it coincided with the raising of the dose of thyroid medication, which contributes to high blood pressure.
The most important point is, check your blood pressure at least once a week even if you're healthy, because hypertension can happen to anybody. Machines are available in any drug store and in some grocery stores. 

I'm using the "Unda Nether" or 666 Typing Monkeys account, which is an account available to all members of the team. I created it because some of the team at times feel vulnerable, even when using a pen name, due to our particular brand of mental illness. This allows another layer of anonymity. However, in the end I opted for transparency.

Your Prompt:


On the day before…..


Word prompts:


before

preface

precursor

front

antecedent

6 comments:

  1. You had fellow feeling for my poem, and I have the same for yours. I lost my father to cancer 50 years ago and the emotions were as you describe them. I don't have high blood pressure, but I do have cardiac isufficiency, and other problems, which limit what I can do Thank God for blogging and "virtual" friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is touching, beautiful, thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching, beautiful, intimate, respectul and so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Words are not enough to convey my admiration for this poem. *Added to favorites*

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.