Silence
Turn off the world for a minute
Be done, be done
STOP!
Stop thinking
Stop ruminating
Worrying
Fearing
Throw out all the clutter in the mind
Turn it off for a minute
Please, why can't we?
Put down the damn world
And all the fears
And the sorrow and the tears
STOP!
Just stop and be...
It's harder than you think because then you get to thinking
And thinking
And thinking some more
Then you start to realize just how much is going wrong
The thoughts spiral down
The anxiety gets worse...
Living in the modern world
Is sometimes nothing but
A goddamn curse
Turn it off for a minute
Just a minute
Just fifteen
Just an hour...
I wish I could turn it off for a week
Organize everything the way I need...
That would take a lifetime
And then another one
Turn it off for a minute
Turn it off and just be
I'm tired of hearing the Monkey Mind
Always chattering at me
Turn it off for a minute
Turn it off
Turn it off
Turn it off
Stop thinking
Stop fretting
Stop worrying
Just
STOP!
~Wanda~
Wanda's note:
This has a tendency to happen when I try to meditate.


You said it! I have trouble turning off my anxious brain.
ReplyDeleteI've always been a high strung sort. Turning it off doesn't come naturally.
DeleteThis poem is the very reason why silence can scare me sometimes. You start to think and think some more until you get depressed and/or anxious. Some elements of it reminds me of my favorite Paramore song called "Turn It Off". I actually wrote a book of the same title as a tribute. Great poem!
ReplyDeleteExactly. There were always people in school who called me "stupid," but I figured, how stupid can I be when I think all the time?
DeleteI know this feeling!
ReplyDeleteI think many of us do. We live in a high anxiety world.
DeleteThere's nothing harder than trying to stop the mind ... so don't ... just let those thoughts fall around you like autumn leaves or rain without giving them your attention. Loved the poem btw ...
ReplyDeleteThat's what they tell us at the Temple as well. Don't overthink anything, including overthinking. ;-)
DeleteIt's not so easy as it would seem on the surface, is it?
ReplyDelete