Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Thirty-One


The year I turned 31
Our oldest girl turned ten
Our middle daughter turned six
And our baby girl turned three
That year marked my twelfth wedding anniversary
And the fifteenth anniversary of being a couple
Some folks think I did things too fast
That I got married and had babies too young
That at thirty-one, I had too much on my plate
Maybe that would be the case
For some who did things the way I did
But for me, it turned out just right
For Seth and me, it wasn't just desire
We were friends before we fell in love
We've been the best of friends through everything
And I think that's why it works
He never felt I tied him down or trapped him
We supported each other through school
We both changed diapers 
We took turns staying up at night through teething
Eventually, we both finished our education
I ended up a nurse
He, a high school counselor
Nothing fancy, but something that felt right
Just like our house
And the cars we drive
Some say he's too tall and skinny and I'm too short and fat
But I think we're just right
I thought so when I was thirty-one
I still think so today
And I think I will on every birthday yet to come

~Sadie~

Written for The Reverie

7 comments:

  1. I love this - the total acceptance of yourself and your husband and what you have together. It's a beautiful thing. Thank you for joining us at The Reverie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, and for providing the prompt. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you.
    I'd say my marriage has been a warm and comfortable one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wonderful memories. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To even give meaning to the 31 lines with pretty much 31 reasons to be proud.
    Love the read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fact you pretty much gave 31 reasons you are proud of who you are and become. And that in 31 lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I married my husband two days before I turned 20, after dating for only seven months. I was told it would never last, but 33 years later, we're still going strong, and we love each other more than ever. It blessed me to read your wonderful tribute to your marriage. Congratulations and God bless you!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.