Monday, October 6, 2014

OctPoWriMo 2014: Day 6


Perfect

Perfect porcelain
You are perfection
My perfectionism
Reveals my imperfect imperfection

~Helena~



Helena's note:
Little girls are taught that we should be perfect like the dolls we're given to play with.
Most of us grow into ordinary-looking women, and we hate ourselves for it.
Something is very wrong with this.


9 comments:

  1. As girl, I was a tomboy. Never had a doll. I see perfection in nature and in love. I do admire your Haiku.Well said.

    Melanie
    bd


    ReplyDelete
  2. You knocked this one out of the park! The "Barbie doll" image that we've all lived with and loathed ourselves for not becoming is seriously wrong. Thank you for making this important statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, we should not try to look like dolls. There is no life in them, and there is plenty in us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wrong,indeed. You will appreciate the photographic work of my friend Jade @ http://www.jadebeall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, acceptance of oneself is the first step to happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you get to the heart of the matter. Yes, that feeling of fear and self-loathing at puberty happens, and it's heartbreaking. Good job with the Naani!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are writing to a little girl. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be perfect is to be imperfect. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My priorities have changed as I've shifted from a willowy girl to a thickened woman. My children maintain that a padded mom is a more huggable and comforting one.

    When I was slender, I always found fault with my body. These days, I'm far more accepting of it, and I treat it much better than I used to.

    I look at the life recorded in my face, the peace and joy and spirit in my eyes -
    I know I'm beautiful, and perfectly myself.

    My goal is to raise my daughter to know she is a zillion times more lovely, inside and out, just as she is, than any doll ever could be!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.