Thursday, September 18, 2014

30 Days of Haiga 2014: Day 18

Click to Enlarge

Original Photo:

Verse:
Illsa Gorrey

Photoshop Manipulation:
Cie Cheesemeister


Illsa's note:
When I was fourteen, I had a paper route. I actually did have a bicycle, but I never could master throwing and pedaling at the same time so I walked the route. 
My family wasn't by any means wealthy, but we weren't poor either. My father (R.I.P.) worked construction and handyman jobs. He was also a decent mechanic. He could fix just about anything, so even though our house was nothing fancy, it was a place we were proud of. Dad put a lot of work into it.
My route was in a run-down area of town. A lot of people down there owned guard dogs: Dobermans, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls. The majority of the dogs would bark but stay their place in the yard. Some of them actually became friendly towards me over time. But there was this one yard with a low fence and two very aggressive dogs. 
My sixteen-year-old brother started walking the route with me when he realized where it was. I didn't have the route for long. Once my father became fully aware of the situation, he made me quit. He was all fired up to go talk to those people about their dogs, but my mother talked him out of it. She filed a complaint with animal control. Maybe they got ticketed, but nothing was ever done about the dogs.
It's always sobering when I realize that my father has now been dead for almost as many years as he was alive.

~Illsa~

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, on behalf of Illsa and The Cheese.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what you find amusing about this piece. She was discussing feeling afraid of aggressive dogs, and remembering her father, who is long dead. I guess I don't see the humor in it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story behind the haiga. What a scary tale when you think about it. Good for your dad ... I know what you means when our loved ones are gone and yet, somehow it seems that our memories place them somewhere like, just a week or so ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Illsa. My own father died a few years ago. Unlike Illsa's father, he was a senior and had been ill for quite some time, so his death was anticipated. However, it sometimes still startles me to realize that I will never (in this life) see or talk to him again.

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.