Image by Gerd Altman on Pixabay
only when I sleep do I remember
what it was to be in love
love is nothing but trickery
of the mind and heart and eye
my aural misinterpretation
of your oral explanation
my controversial mask
and your controversial past
led to the devastation of you and I, aye?
if I have three wishes
while dreaming with the fishes
in the afterglow of life gone by
will one of those wishes be to heal our bond?
or is it best to let bygones say goodbye
to let the scales fall from my eyes
so you can stop dragging my heart around through eternity
~cie~
promptly
Background image by Manuel Meurisse on Unsplash
Text art and effects by Yours Truly
It's not a sonnet (obviously), partly because it probably wouldn't have been a sonnet anyway and partly because I didn't know that OctPoWriMo was a thing again this year.
https://mindlovemiserysmenagerie.wordpress.com/2021/10/16/double-take-saturday-mix-16-october-2021/
The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.
Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.
Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.
Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.
Want more poetry?
Get it here!
Buy me a coffee
Or buy me a coffee here
Join me on Odysee
Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.
Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox!











It's not a nice thing to have one's heart dragged through eternity! I think I'd opt for saying goodbye...
ReplyDeleteHe's no longer in the world in any case. He was a good man. He never cheated and he was never abusive. We were two people with a lot of baggage and when he left the world there were still a lot of unresolved issues. I would always recommend to anyone in a serious relationship to get couples counseling from the start. That may sound horrible and the opposite of trusting, but I really think its the only way. It's what I would advise my son if he were ever to get into a relationship.
DeleteGood to see you at OctPoWriMo. "my aural misinterpretation
ReplyDeleteof your oral explanation"...so true!
A powerful write for a person who's relationships is not going well. The last three lines - therein lies the question and within those words, there is so much hurt.
ReplyDeleteThis is an apt description of the emotions one encounters when love has left us. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteHa I feel the knife of these words but, I have no answers as love can be a game of trickery. Only when the mask is put down can we see eye to eye and maybe, that is when the scale will balance.
ReplyDeleteLike the rhyming and cleverness of this, particularly..
ReplyDelete"my aural misinterpretation
of your oral explanation
my controversial mask
and your controversial past"
JIM