Saturday, April 8, 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017: Day 8: Fallen: A Poem in Three Parts


 Never forget our fallen soldiers
Fallen in battle
Fallen in the name of freedom
Fallen in the name of greed
Fallen to help the helpless
Fallen to feed the need of megalomaniacs
Some fallen by the wayside
When they return home
Never forget our fallen soldiers

Black metal vocalist Per Ohlin 
January 16 1969 - April 8 1991
Death by self-inflicted shotgun wound to head

Never forget the fallen
Fallen by their own hand at the end
Fallen victim along the way
Fallen at the hands of bullies
Never taught empathy for those who are different
Fallen victim to the deceptions created
By a mind that works differently
Never forget the fallen ones
Fallen into the dark night of despair


 Photoshop art by The Real Cie


 Never forget those whose memories have fallen away
Those fallen into the lonely twilight of a mind
Ravaged by devastating disease
 Never forget those fallen victim to dementia
Whose souls have fallen away from the world
While their bodies are still living
Never forget that the fallen deserve compassion
That the fallen deserve to be treated with respect
Never forget those who can no longer remember


Never forget the fallen
Don't let them fall away
Just because it is uncomfortable
To talk about the things that caused their fall


~Rose~ 
 


http://www.napowrimo.net/day-eight-4/


Notes:
Team Netherworld does a tribute to Per Ohlin every year on April 8, the date of his suicide. This year marks the 26th anniversary of his passing.
I thought about finding a picture of Per without makeup because one year someone remarked that he looked "creepy". In the end, I decided to use a picture of him in his stage makeup because I feel that people need to learn to look beyond appearances.
Per came into the world with a lot of strikes against him. He was born prematurely and had severe sleep apnea during his early childhood. He was likely on the autism spectrum. His younger brother stated that he had difficulty multitasking and would become upset if anyone bothered him while he was focused on something he was doing.
When Per changed schools after his parents divorced, his new classmates were not accustomed to his unusual behaviors and at one point ganged up on him and beat him so severely that he sustained a serious head injury and nearly died. This injury may have caused him to develop Cotard syndrome, a perception dysfunction in which the sufferer feels that they are in a body which is no longer alive. Per expressed feelings that he was not alive, that the blood was freezing in his veins. 
Although Per did not perform well scholastically, he was highly intelligent and had a gift with words. His powerful poetry and song lyrics create a rich atmosphere and a metaphor for the struggles which he endured on a daily basis. The following is one of my favorites.
I hope that in the Afterlife, Per was able to find a peace impossible for him to achieve in life. I feel it is important that we learn compassion for him and others with cognitive and psychiatric differences.

Freezing Moon

Everything Here Is So Cold
Everything Here Is So Dark
I Remember It As From A Dream
In The Corner Of This Time

Diabolic Shapes Float By
Out From The Dark
I Remember It Was Here I Died
By Following The Freezing Moon

It's Night Again, Night You Beautiful
I Please My Hunger, On Living Humans
Night Of Hunger Follow It's Call
Follow The Freezing Moon

Darkness Is Growing, Eternity Opens
The Cemetery Lights Up Again
As In Ancient Times
Fallen Souls Die Behind My Steps
By Following The Freezing Moon

1 comment:

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.