April is cruel
For those with spring depression
It can be deadly
~Cie~
In memory of Per Ohlin
16 January 1969 - 8 April 1991
I suffer from spring depression, which is something that most people don't understand. I fully understand how a person could kill themselves during the "happy" months. I've been struggling with very high suicide ideation this year.
Research on seasonal effects on suicide rates suggests that the prevalence of suicide is greatest during the late spring and early summer months, despite the common belief that suicide rates peak during the cold and dark months of the winter season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_effects_on_suicide_rates




Such a powerful write..!
ReplyDeleteThank you. I truly appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteNo, I didn't know that. Startling! And a message worth spreading. I hope the writing helps you too.
ReplyDeleteI think it does. Thank you.
DeleteSpring is so often associated with renewal, but I believe the season has a profound effect on hormonal balance. I would not be surprised to learn that depression could be more prevalent at this time.
ReplyDeleteI imagine the change in light does something to the pituitary gland, or something of that nature. My pituitary gland is messed up anyway. I have the rounded, puffy face that a person with medical experience would recognize as belonging to a person with endocrine problems. In any case, I tend to prefer a rainy spring because the depression is less likely to hit as hard. This year it's been all sunshine and it's been awful.
DeleteSo sorry you feel this way. I hope this spring will deal sweetly with you. I'm rooting for you.
ReplyDeleteSo far it's treated me like a naive teenager who fell in love with a slick Lothario and was unceremoniously kicked to the curb after he got his way. I'm a little better this week than last. Thanks for visiting!
DeleteYes, April can be deadly, thank you for your well written reminder, be safe,,
ReplyDeleteThank you. :-)
DeleteI know the truth of this. I know of three suicides and all happened in the month of May. Peace.
ReplyDeleteOh, I know the truth of what you say. I know of three suicides, all happened in May. There is that dark something about spring.
ReplyDeleteI just started re-read The Wasteland yesterday. Excellent adaptation.
ReplyDeleteSo sad, the one who was lost, whose soul, I hope, has found peace. May spring tiptoe in on little pushy willow toes, and be gentle with you this year. It is just the opposite for me. The endless grey of winter does me in....the extra light in spring saves me. Stay safe, kiddo.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, Cara, about your April experience. I get depressed at times but generally it is induced by circumstance and not medical Best wishes, this was a neat haiku.
ReplyDelete..
I have found myself quite sad on the sunniest days. I understand the demon of depression and suicide. I attempted to take my life when I was nineteen.
ReplyDeleteall I have to offer is the observation that 'normal' is fiction, and that you need not concern yourself with what other's think or say. that being said, I hope you continue to spin on this planet. ~
ReplyDeleteA rainy day can be as beautiful as a sunny day. I hope you live somewhere where it is more cloudy than sunny! Heart wrenching short poem...
ReplyDeleteApril? I guess. So is March, May, February and Christmas.
ReplyDelete