Lady in search of peppermint
And sweetmeat
Instead found eyeballs
And rattlesnake hamburger
When she followed the fireflies
To the moonlight schoolhouse
Where the supergiant throwbacks skateboard
She was seeking homemade popcorn
A slice of shadyside honeydew
A sweet morsel of honeycomb
Instead she found an overabundance
Of undercut forefingers
In the underground household
Of the underage bootstrap babysitter
And the weekend watchmaker
With his supersensitive, supersonic pacemaker
And the lifeline, lifeblood keyhole on his forehead
Somehow the sunbathing superwoman found herself in the supernatural underbelly
Behind the bookshelf in the bookstore belonging to the bookmobile bookkeeper
While looking for the washroom in the firehouse
Where she sought a ballroom friendship with the supercool fireman
Her bellbottom daydreams now in upheaval
Her dishpan hands clasp the newspaper
Where she seeks the carefree undercurrent
Along the moonbeam superhighways
Once a moonstruck firecracker
With a crush on a sweetheart schoolboy
She instead found beneath the moonlight
One too many a hookworm playboy
The afterimage of the life that could have been
Reflects mockingly in her stoplight eyeglasses
Everything has been a comedown from her tailspin pinup dreams
So she orders shortbread takeout
And climbs warlike to the housetop
Her tailcoat flapping like a skylark in the wind
On the sunroof in the sundown
She watches the watchman in the watercolor watchtower
The downbeat wastewater waterlogs the waterfowl below
She walks down to the woodshop
To say goodnight to the waxwork scarecrow
She adjusts his sunray bowtie
Before stepping onto the centercut turntable
A blowgun to the forebrain
Nothing to forewarn the foregone horseman in the forecastle foreground
On the moonlit grassland
Her foredoom was foretold
Her washrag fallen in the rainwater
Flows downstream to the uptown washhouse
Where the cardstock newsman reports as an afterthought
The death of nobody and nothing
~Cie and Opal~
This went much further than we ever imagined it would!
Prompts used:


Oh, my, goodness. You guys outdid yourselves!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing array of compound words you have utilized in your poem. I especially liked this description:
ReplyDeleteShe walks down to the woodshop
To say goodnight to the waxwork scarecrow
She adjusts his sunray bowtie
Before stepping onto the centercut turntable
Oh my goodness, this is wonderful. I was in suspense through the whole poem waiting to see what was going to happen next. So well done. (and all the compound words, Wow!) :-)
ReplyDeleteWonderful! You aced the challenge :D
ReplyDeleteThis is so much fun! I too feel like I could cavort in that word list for a long time. Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteOh this is wonderful.. overload of compoundness make me dizzy.
ReplyDeleteYou Guys did wonderfully with this one!!! I like it, I think it would make a song. About the same tempo as "Life in the Fast Lane." It's rock and was sung by the Eagles back in my 1970's day but they still sing it with the oldies on radio. Joe Walsh was one of the writers. Walsh was also the lead guitar player.
ReplyDeleteI think Bob Dylan would also sing it but probably the meaning would change just because of the two different style singers.
Composition? My guess is that you used every word out of one of the lists or used seven lists, then took turns writing the stanzas until you decided there was enough. Fast Lane song, the original recording, was long. It's companion song, "Hotel California." was also very long.
Lady in search of peppermint
She was seeking homemade popcorn
Somehow the sunbathing superwoman found herself
Her bellbottom daydreams now in upheaval
The afterimage of the life that could have been
On the sunroof in the sundown
A blowgun to the forebrain (Oops, she crossed the line!!)
These are lovely starts for each of the stanzas. It makes me wan to be there. Great!
..
What fun! I feel like you did the same thing I did - clicked the link and compiled a list of fun compound words that spoke to you, and then decided, what the heck, let's just put 'em ALL in there. LOVE it.
ReplyDeleteWhat an eye-popping poetic stew this is. I love how whenever the speaker (and me) thought we were going somewhere, the journey took an unexpected turn and exposed unexpected bits. Deliciously wild!
ReplyDeleteWow!!!
ReplyDeleteEpic!! Nice use of compounds here...I enjoy the superwoman section. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a compound feast. I don't think I could have crafted a piece like this.
ReplyDeleteUtterly haunting, dahlings. Touche!
ReplyDelete