Sunday, October 4, 2015

OctPoWriMo 2014: Day 4: Real Magic


Real Magic

With a flick of the wrist
My wand I did twirl
Hoping I could impress 
A certain beautiful girl

I wanted to wow her
With my mystical prowess
The resulting blast from my wand
Left me eyebrow-less

My skills wielding magic
Were far less than fantastic
When I turned myself into a toad
The situation became drastic

That special lady, however
Had her own kind of magic
She came to my rescue
Before things became tragic

She gave me a kiss
Which turned me back into me
She said that was the best thing
I could possibly be

I married that lady
And all these years later
We have daughters three
Our lives couldn't be greater

We may not have a palace
But we have each other
And our three wonderful girls
Have a loving dad and mother

Magic is real
But you don't need potions
Just a few leaps of faith
And lots of love and devotion

So that is my story
Of how my wish came true
I wish that all of your wishes 
Would come true for you

~Seth~



Notes:
I didn't know where I was going with this when I started, but I had a lot of fun writing it! Except for the literal wand-waving and turning into a toad, all of it is true. 
I married my high school sweetheart, who saw a hero in a tall, lanky, bookish guy, and we have three beautiful, intelligent, and creative daughters. The youngest just started her freshman year of college. The oldest is finishing her Masters in psychology and intends to pursue a doctorate. The middle one is an intern for an independent ladies' clothing design company. She has a goal of being involved in creating attractive, fashionable clothes for plus size women.
I do believe in magic and, in fact, mysticism. Magic isn't flashy and over the top like it is in movies and television. It's generally very subtle and you have to watch for it, or you may miss it. I'm glad I didn't miss out on mine!

24 comments:

  1. Wowie! Loved the flow of your poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love story warmed my heart and made me smile. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it! Indeed, magic is real with faith, love and devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for magic and wishes coming true. the beginning is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm a big fan of the old Looney Toons, and that's the sort of thing I was picturing when I wrote this.

      Delete
  5. This made me laugh out loud. I am so glad your wishes came true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this, sweet and beautiful and an ultimate truth - we have to look for our everyday magic. I believe it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute story. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of us will try to visit each of your blogs as we can. For my own part, I've got an unholy slow internet connection. :-(
    I want to thank each of you who took the time to visit and comment on my poem. I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those Internet mis-connections myself. Because of where I live, it's not likely to get better anytime soon. :-(
      I'm reliving the days of my misspent youth, spending the witching hour in an internet cafe. I'm doing a few replies on your behalf. Cheers, my friend!

      Delete
  10. All that wand-twirling and blasting at the beginning had me giggling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Seth really has a way with word! His imagination is rather like an ongoing Looney Toons cartoon. ;-)
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. Seth, this is so sweet, funny and imaginative. It's so you, my friend! Well done!
    I know what you mean about the slow internet connection. The one in my house is pretty pathetic too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so right Seth ... magic is everywhere ... just needs love and devotion ... loved the poem! :) Bastet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Seth.
      We all enjoy your poems too!

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.