Monday, October 5, 2015

OctPoWriMo 2015: Day 5: Love Comes Wearing Disguises

Image by Beverly Tan

Love Comes Wearing Disguises

We had been friends for years
You supported me during my divorce
With subtle Nordic style humor and a loyal heart
You needed a date for a New Year's event
I said I'd be happy to accompany my pal

We became aware that night
That there were possibilities between us
I was scared that I might lose my friend
I didn't want to start something that might end badly
My track record in love was abysmal

It was easy to see how I could fall for you
But how could you fall for me
I am plump and plain, and you had dated a model before me
You said you'd rather be with a friend
Someone who offered kindness and support

You didn't want to stay with someone
Who was always trying to turn
You into another person
Someone handsome enough
Sophisticated enough
To be with someone as pretty as she

People who had known the two of you
Wondered how you could trade in the luxury model
For the dumpy economy brand
You told them I made you happy 
I made you feel young again

You became a second father to my children
A great friend to my brother
With your warmth and charm, even my dad couldn't help liking you
You never had to try that hard
Just by being who you are
You made everything better

We've now been together for sixteen wonderful years
Married for eleven of those
The love I thought I'd never find is real
Sometimes the ugly duckling girl
Is beautiful in the eyes 
Of Prince Charming

For my beloved husband Nils
from Aurora (Sandy)



Notes:
I kept choking up while writing this, but in a good way.

20 comments:

  1. Life is filled with happiness when you find true love, may you have many, many more such wonderful years. Beautiful write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful story!
    Thank you for sharing it with us.
    It gives me hope, in a way, as I'm far from being a model :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no leading lady myself!
      The older I get, the more I realize that such things have very little lasting importance.
      Thank you for visiting, on behalf of Aurora. :-)

      Delete
  3. True love blossoms beautifully.. Stay Blessed forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and inspiring, especially as my Prince TardyPants seems to have wandered off somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had far more Prince Alarmings than Prince Charmings in my life! Once I reached a certain age, I was happy enough to give up on the whole idea.
      Thanks for visiting, on behalf of Aurora. :-)

      Delete
  5. Love do come in different forms. The heart is filled with warmth when the adage "BEAUTY LIES IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER" comes true. Loved this heartwarming narrative of your life Aurora :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Aurora. :-)
      I believe that true beauty lies within.

      Delete
  6. Ah what a wonderful love story ...I agree with Karin ... inspiring! Bastet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept choking up while reading it!!! How absolutely LOVELY this is. Wow! Lucky, lucky him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Aurora.
      I'm biased because she is my second cousin and my friend, but I think he's lucky too!

      Delete
  8. I love it. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to hear more snippets of your life together. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Aurora.
      They are quite an inspiring couple. Frankly, I'm envious!

      Delete
  9. Sis, I was so happy for you when you realized that Nils was the one. He's been great for you and yes, a wonderful friend to me. Can never repay the two of you for introducing me to Dylan. We've finally got the loves we needed, wanted, and deserve. It was a long road getting there but we did it! I hope it lasts forever. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found your right one too, Adam. You deserve it!

      Delete
  10. What a sweet love letter to your husband. It's wonderful that he could see the beauty in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, on behalf of Aurora.
      The best people see the beauty within. :-)

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.