Monday, October 19, 2015

OctPoWriMo 2015: Day 20: A Realist's Love Poem

Photo by Morgan Dragonwillow

A Realist's Love Poem

Love doesn't have to be
According to other people's rules
Because love doesn't follow rules
Chasing down a dream
Dreaming of tomorrow
Fondness in your heart leading to
Gladness or sorrow
Here's hoping your attachment is returned in kind
Intimacy should never hurt
Joy should always follow expressions of tenderness
Kisses should not be prefaced by lies
Love should cultivate feelings of endearment
Mindful of the other's hopes and fears
Never should love bring about sorrow
Only warmth and happiness and cheer
Please do not think I am so naive
Quite so foolish as to believe this to be true
Ruined lives have resulted from toxic love
Sadness bleeds from many a broken heart
Truth and desire do not always go hand in hand
Unhappiness is too often the outcome of love
Victory is rare and to be treasured
Wait and do not jump in too quick
Xanadu may be your dream
Yet it is most elusive
Zest must not blind you to reality
If red flags warn you that something's not right
Then what you believe is love may just not be

~Tempest~


Imaginary Garden With Real Toads

14 comments:

  1. Yes..not always the Xanadu one expects it to be...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think you are right.. love is a thing to handle with care, there is pain and beauty inside.. love how you worked with contrasts here... beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. some crucial issues in the games of love is discussed here

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different perspectives of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't notice the alphabetical lines until I was almost finished reading. I love the rhythm/how it flows. I think that is what makes a poem so great, you don't notice the poet trying too hard to use a certain poetic form. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cleverly worked your lines to the ABC... layout. Sincerely written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truth and desire do not always go hand in hand... so true and so misunderstood. Wonderful poem of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very important points to remember. True love is often hard to distinguish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely agree. Refreshing dose of truth. Love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing concept of love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful abecederian, – I always think they must be so hard to write – and what an all-encompassing list of how to do love with freedom.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.