Connections
I stood on the bridge
Between yesterday and tomorrow
And thought how my life seems
To be rife with missed connections
To be plagued with wrong connections
To be lacking in strong connections
There are all too many times
When I found myself burning bridges
To places I never again wanted to go
I made too many bad connections
Being so desperate for special connections
I held on to destructive connections
The difference between then and now
Is that I know that I deserve better
Than to be treated like I belong in a dumpster
Just because I don't look like a doll
Just because I don't play the right games
Just because I don't have the right connections
~Dolly~


Your situation is not an uncommon one.. and it usually happens to the kind people.Stick to your resolve...no compromise....don't accept anything less than being treated well...treat yourself well as you do others. If they don't respond in kind...you can be your own best friend.Their loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It has become easier as time goes on and I have truly learned to respect myself.
DeleteLove yourself as you are.. Why compromise for things which matters to you and only you.
ReplyDeleteA sentiment with which I fully agree.
DeleteThank you for commenting, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
This is so moving ... only too often we underestimate ourselves we let ourselves be led to believe what other's think about us ... and all too often they're just projecting their own crud ... Bastet
ReplyDeleteVery true. It took me a lot of years to fully realize this.
DeleteThanks for commenting, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
Sefl love and self care can be so difficult. Sounds like you're on your way!
ReplyDeleteIt can be a big challenge, especially for people who haven't heard much in the way of good things about themselves.
DeleteThank you for commenting, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
We all are born with inborn courage..Just need that push to face those challenges :)
ReplyDeleteI work with people who have had their self-esteem beaten out of them, often literally. I'm amazed at both the resilience of the human spirit, and saddened by the degrees of cruelty to which some will go.
DeleteThank you for commenting, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
I love the way this is structured. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteThank you, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
DeleteWell done! Love how the word "connections" just weaves throughout your poem.
ReplyDeleteKind thanks, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
DeleteWell, you have clearly taken a good solid look and is on the way to the new you. Stay strong and determined. A good write .
ReplyDeleteThank you for your encouragement, on behalf of Dolly. :-)
Delete