Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Trapped

 Not my art. I wish! Afraid I don't know the source.

Trapped 

I feel like I’m trapped

In one of those old movies where the earth does open

I thought we could find some place to anchor

But we are still adrift, floating

 

O tired song of what we thought

Repeating endlessly within our heads

Mocking the reality of what we now know is truth

Sometimes it takes too damn long to become dead

 

I used to think if I could go back in time

I’d beat my younger self just like a thug

But these days I’ve so much sympathy in me

I’d give that lost and hurting soul a hug

 

We cannot foresee what is to come

The moments of happiness are few and far between

The moments of tragedy weigh us down like stones

I would not wish on anyone the things I’ve felt and seen

 

People do not long for youth to be young and pretty

We long for youth so we don’t have to know

About all the losses we will face in life

The myriad of sorrows stoop our shoulders when we’re old
 
~Cie~


Prompts used:

  1. those old movies where the earth does open – Fault by Ron Koertge
  2. but we are still adrift, floating – Song Book by Naomi Shihab Nye
  3. O tired song of what we thought -The Snow Leopard Mother by Jennifer K. Sweeney

 
https://jeremysdailychallenge.wordpress.com/2014/11/19/challenge-wednesday-19-november/


3 comments:

  1. I feel that line about wanting to return to youth so we don't know so much about all the horrible things that can happen. This is a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sadly, brutally true.
    Beautifully worded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece, beautifully written

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.