Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Gap

Filipino street children

 
The Gap
 
What for you amounts to a few miserable moments
Driving past forgotten and neglected children on the streets
Amounts to their everyday life
 
While you attend the recital and watch your healthy daughter turn pirouettes
Another parent struggles to remain resolute
To somehow put food on the table
 
Spills and stains are quickly washed from your clothing
Or you make the decision to replace the item
When the stain has set in too deeply
 
The poor person continues wearing the stained item
You laugh at them
Calling them a disgusting slob
 
On a cloudy day, you drive your beautiful, warm car through the rain
The tires splash the forgotten and neglected children
Who flutter past your window as you roll home
 
~Cie~
 
http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/wordle-188/

8 comments:

  1. The sadness of posts like this is that the problem is barely relieved in prosperous countries, even less so in developing nations. We are so blind with full bellies. Please keep on shouting or digging us in the ribs so we are not complacent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellently written, depicting opposing worlds and the vast distance between the two. - which sometimes only boils down to a tire splash.

    i only ask you reconsider the language of "disgusting slob" in your 4th stanza . The words don't seem to be appropriate or match the tone of the poem.. You laugh at them calling them "pitiable" or "finding them repulsive".

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The words "disgusting slob" aren't mine, but rather actual words I've heard other people use to describe street people. I opt not to clean this up because it's the reality. This is truly the way people, including people who would describe themselves as "nice people," see those living in these conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate your writing which slices through our hearts but the hard to believe fact is certain places these poverty is reluctant to end though given a helping hand.
    #begging mafia,#misuse of reservations for poor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain attitude among people who are part of a generational line where poverty has been the norm. They tend not to trust outside help. However, this does not mean that all poor people want to remain poor and it assuredly does not mean that all poor people are lazy. Poverty is a mutifactoral problem. Take into account, for instance, the fact that a fair number of people who live in poverty are mentally ill. Certainly people who are mentally ill have been given ample reason not to trust people in authority. I speak from experience.

      Delete
  5. It is difficult to think about the idea that, basically because of a roll of the dice, we have so much... so much we take for granted, like food every day, a warm bed, clean water... while others have so little. Especially in the holiday season, when there is an abundance of food and lights and parties and gifts, and meanwhile some people still have to worry about where they will sleep and what they will eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cara, hope you are doing well.
    I did like this take on the wordle, there is such discrepancy among the rich and the poor and actually cares.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.