Monday, November 10, 2014

Another One for Malcolm

 
Another One for Malcolm
 
If I could give you a gift
To thank you for your thelemic attitudes
It would be the gift of allowing you to remember
Your memories have blown away like leaves in the wind
Left scattered for some gluttonous, soul-eating monster to lick up
This fiend demands to devour all the sweet aspects that shone through your expressive eyes
And made your weathered face as soft in aspect as one still in his brittle youth
It consumes your mind like gooey cake batter left on Mother’s spoon as it clings to her apron
Like a petty thief, the monster Dementia steals in during the night to swipe your soul
Robbing your tribe of your wisdom and your kindness
I would have much more than a tiff with this monster
If I could, I would strike it dead and chop it into pieces
Not so I could get horizontal with you, even though I could drown in your beautiful eyes
But just so you could remember
Who you were
Who those you love are
What is truly important
Just so you could continue to be
You
Cie
Prompt:
 
 
 Malcolm Young
61 years old
Victim of early onset, rapid progressing dementia
Cannot remember his lifetime of accomplishments or even the people he loves the most
There is nothing about this that can be considered "right" on any level
The picture was taken when he was still healthy
The expressiveness leaves the eyes when the mind goes as his has
Maybe someday there will be a cure for such horrific conditions

6 comments:

  1. Tragic and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This breaks my heart=( Malcolm has the most beautiful eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does. They change color depending on the light. Sometimes blue, sometimes green, sometimes brownish. He was a really beautiful person, sensitive and fundamentally decent. It's a real loss.

      Delete
  3. Heart breaking story .. dementia .. I think that one of the most terrifying ideas to me in aging is dementia ... in the photo he has such a beautiful face and expressive eyes ... so tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a little man with a very big heart. I think the very worst of this type of dementia is how quickly it wipes out everything a person is. Hearing about this was harder for me than if I'd heard he had terminal cancer, because then at least he'd still be who he was.

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.