Tuesday, November 9, 2021

November PAD Challenge 2021: Benjamin Under the Harvest Moon

 

Benjamin, the last Thylacine, died on 6 September 1933 in the Hobart Zoo
This image by an unknown photographer is in the public domain

does anyone
remember Benjamin?
he died under the harvest moon
or at least around that time
brawny Benjamin
was last
on record

Thylocine extinct
colossal loss
what right had Benjamin to die
from barking up the wrong tree
when he
was the
last one

humans have
no love
for anything we have deemed lesser
brave Benjamin died in a cage
he would
have preferred
the wood

~ornery owl~

prompts

Prompt: Write about an endangered or extinct species


Prompt: Write a love or anti-love poem
I wrote about charitable love rather than romantic love. The Thylacine was treated with blatant disregard by humanity, which is the opposite of love.

Prompt: Write a Trinet

Phrase: Barking up the wrong tree


The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)


Creative Commons License


This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

Want more poetry?
Get it here!

Buy me a coffee

Or buy me a coffee here

Join me on Odysee

Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.

Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox!

10 comments:

  1. I cant stand the thought of animals in cages. Humans seem to think animals have no feelings, dont feel pain or grief when, in fact, they feel everything we do. Sigh. Thanks for telling us about Benjamin. Another being I had not heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (now) remember this animal, I had forgotten the sad tale of its vanishing. Of this last of its kind, caged, like a clear-cut wood. Well done - quite right for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem. Your use of the words is seamless. It is shameful that the Tasmanian tiger was allowed to become extinct.
    A blot on our history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about the thylacine from one of Sherry's previous prompts, but I didn't know the name of the last one. So sad: and this should frighten us. How easily we could slip out of existence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if this had happened today, would they have been able to clone him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for honoring the Tasmanian tiger. I so wish there, out in the deep dark hidden wilds, some living. I like to think so, but it's not likely. I read a wonderful book about a dozen years ago about a group searching for them. I forget it's name, it didn't include thylacine in it. It's so sad, we don't even know what color those fabulous stripes were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many of these "last ones" now to count.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too much land has been taken from 'People' who respected it...
    as well as the animals that belonged there as well.

    ~(Jules from WP)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe pretty soon
    we shall be the 'Benjamins'
    A bit too late then

    ReplyDelete
  10. we are terrible in our jealousy of other creatures ~

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.