Image by kzeomdceswk on Unsplash
running out of time as the money drips in and the reserves
dry up
there is still no triumph as I trot through pelting dust to
my grave
my brain has too many tabs open in place of morning papers
and still I wonder why
my engine is running down, my wings have been clipped, but I
can never be free
the truth is, the price for striving to own the newest shiny object is too
high
you are my witness as I split myself down the middle,
leaving one half of me to slow down and make ankle soup from the pork hock in
my freezer
~ornery owl~
prompts
Prompt: Money
Prompt: Write a "slow down" poem
Prompt: The picture
Prompt: Reserve
I hope that's all of them. It's so irritating when I have to come back and add one in after publishing.
Here's the cool 70s prog rock soundtrack that I was listening to while writing this poem.
Here's the link in case you can't see the video.
https://odysee.com/@TerminalPassage:c/sahara-subject-esq-%281972%29-sunrise-%281974%29:9?r=GTwnGJ4fFBQfzuJgpHVpfKBKaC9b8B16
The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)
Creative Commons License
This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.
Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.
Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.
Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.
Come check out Readers Roost, the online book store featuring works by indie and small press authors. Discover your next great read at the Roost!
Want more poetry?
Get it here!
Buy me a coffee
Or buy me a coffee here
Join me on Odysee
Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.
Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox!
Nice phrase: "as I trot through pelting dust to my grave"
ReplyDeleteMaybe sit back, and fully enjoy that soup. The shiny thing can wait another day, out side the door...
ReplyDeleteWe alone accept the price until we recognize the cost.
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot to be said for a spot of slow cooking.
ReplyDelete