An Essay in which Ornery Owl Ruminates on Realism
Does today’s Haiga offering represent realism?
The effects that I have applied to the picture evidently do
not.
The original image may. It is simply a picture of ducks
walking over cracking ice.
Depending on one’s interpretation, the Senryu accompanying
the now-transformed image could fall into the category of realism.
It is no surprise
When a crack forms in the ice
Walking on a lake
The above verse could be interpreted through the lens of
realism. If one walks over the ice covering a lake, it would be distressing, but
not surprising, to see cracks forming in the ice.
However, it is probably evident to anyone familiar with
poetry, poets, or, if you are supremely unfortunate, me, that there is more to
these words than meets the eye.
This poem is a metaphor for taking risks.
I am taking risks by sharing my work.
I risk being told that my work is shit.
I risk being told that I have misinterpreted yet another
prompt.
I risk feeling stupid and worthless.
And yet, I have something to say. So today, I feel up to
risking these things. Another day, perhaps not so much.
It is possible that Ornery Owl is only able to accomplish
realism through photography.
I present one of my realistic (and horrible) photographs for your viewing displeasure.
Ornery Owl Has Misspoken in about 255 words







I see an even deeper meaning on the cracked ice photo. It represents the all of us treading on the thin ice of environmental crisis.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Bev. Thank you for visiting.
DeleteRealism can be simultaneously metaphorical; I have no problem with that. And while the picture is slightly altered (and it certainly is an arresting image, either way) it was words that the prompt asked for, so OK. Your back story is pretty realistic, too, telling it like it is – albeit a somewhat internal realism. (And your selfie is mysterious rather than horrible.)
ReplyDeleteHaha, my selfie is a testament that I don't know how to take selfies--or care to, really. I usually do so when feeling obnoxious and like reminding people that not everyone in the world is pretty and those who aren't pretty have something to say too.
DeleteIt is a very difficult and risky thing to do, put art out there. But yet, the urge to create and share keeps us at it. Sometimes I think the ducks have better odds than I do. But other times I don't think about the cracks or the ice and am just curious to see what happens next.
ReplyDeleteSame, although often in the wee hours of the morning I tend to feel like the whole world could sink at any moment.
DeleteCarta, I like your art work. The original is okay also, it reminds me of the schoolyard game, Fox and Goose. Did you ever play that? Center is base, a safe place, but the rest of the paths are places for the Geese to get tagged by the Fox, the "It person".
ReplyDeleteI think those geese have learned to play Fox and Goose.
..
Yeah, I'm definitely old enough to have played that game. It's been decades, though.
DeleteForgive me, those creatures playing Fox and Goose are ducks. Sorry.
ReplyDelete..
That's all right, maybe ducks like to play Fox and Goose too.
DeleteThis is an epic poetic peek into the world of realism. Every word, every emotion. Brava.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :-)
DeleteI think that these days, in particular, most of the walking we (humanity) have been doing cracks the ice. That is very realistic, indeed. I really like the idea of a senryu being used to illustrate realism. I've always thought of senryu as a haiku that explores the flaws of people and of our circumstances.
ReplyDeleteOn the subject of feeling stupid or worthless by misinterpreting a prompt, no one can tell us how to feel. But I will suggest that making sense of some instructions in a different or unexpected way doesn't mean that we are dumb. At least, I hope not. Since I've failed to provide what a prompt (or professor *cough*) asks for more than once. I think it just means that we saw something different.
One last thing, I like your selfie. I like how the silver, white, and black of the background seems to be mimicking your hair and glasses. Also, the expression spilling out of your eyes tells all kinds of stories.
Beauty and worth are a matter of perspective. I see a strong woman on her way to stand with and for other strong women. To me, that that is beauty crowned with a whole lot of strength.
Thank you. I've heard how ugly I am enough times that it's deeply imbedded in my psyche. I try to see myself as ordinary. It's hard to stop playing the tapes.
Delete