lovely butterfly
small girl cries with all her heart
you lie motionless
~cie~
notes
I didn't want to write about romantic love. (Blech.) So I decided to write about one of the two things I loved very much as a child. My first experience with death involved finding a butterfly still on the sidewalk on a cold, rainy day while walking with my father at three years old. I was devastated.
Fifty-two years have gone by since then. My father is now gone too.



Such a tender haiku and memories Cie. Such love in that little girl and woman's heart... for the fragility of the butterfly and all that it meant to her... then and now.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I appreciate your kind words.
DeleteI didn’t want to write about romantic love, either, Cara. Your haiku is poignant because it is a very early memory, you haven’t forgotten it, and it conveys a strong sense of loss.
ReplyDeleteYes, this memory has stuck with me strongly. I have become stoic on the surface because of the losses I've dealt with, but this child remains a part of me.
DeleteSuch a sad haiku, things like that have a deep inpact on us when we are young. YOu did wrote strong lines about it. Hug from HOlland!
ReplyDeleteThank you Marit. It was my first encounter with death. Realizing that the beautiful butterfly would not fly again was quite impactful to me.
DeleteEven though it speaks of death, its a lovely memory. Shows your heart. And surely your father is in touch with those lovely butterfly wings.
ReplyDeleteWho would not weep at the death of a butterfly? Poignant
ReplyDelete