Thursday, June 19, 2014

At the Crack of Dawn

The Crack of Dawn in Holbrook, AZ

At the Crack of Dawn
A Monoverse Variation in 13 Lines

At the crack of dawn
I woke to find you gone
At the crack of dawn
I knew that you'd moved on
At the crack of dawn
I sang a mournful song

At the crack of dawn
You have done me wrong
At the crack of dawn
The day seems unbearably long
At the crack of dawn
I don't know if I can stay strong

At the crack of dawn

~Helena~





22 comments:

  1. Guess what time of day I read (& enjoyed) this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow powerful fro me reading at the crack of dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice rhythm. With the crack of dawn repeating so frequently, I almost heard it crack (or maybe that was your heart). Sorry. I like the way you wrote it in 13 lines.

    Here is a crack of dawn photo I took last week. http://www.looseleafnotes.com/2014/05/crack-of-dawn/
    My 13 is at http://looseleafnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)
      The heart is healed from the incident that somewhat inspired this. It was nearly 20 years ago when I decided that I had to finish things with my now ex husband for good.

      Delete
  4. I woke to find someone gone at the crack of dawn many moons ago. Glad it's over. Wonderful monoverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me. In my case, he was my husband and the father of my three children. I tried to make it work, several times, but in the end there was no way I could without sacrificing my and my children's well being.

      Delete
    2. I know it was a rough thing for you to go through, Helena, but at least you were wise enough to see what had to be done and strong enough to see it through. Some people are unable to break the ties, even when they keep getting hurt repeatedly.

      Delete
  5. Cool. I love the line--at the crack of dawn

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-2014-write-touch-conference.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a suggestion at Thursday 13. I just wrote it down! :-D

      Delete
  6. That's very nice. I like the word play and the repetition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It looks like an easy style on the surface, but then I found myself saying "what else rhymes or semi-rhymes with Dawn?"

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. I admire poets; they are so graceful with words. Thank for sharing.

    Thank you for visiting The Food Temptress. Congratulations, you won the sour jelly beans! Please send me your mailing address at rekaya@foodtemptress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, lovely! Thank you, on behalf of Helena. I hope she shares with me! :-p

      Delete
  8. A poem with much excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful my poems tend to jump around but this flows seamlessly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Helena for you--smooth as silk! I think my poems tend to be a little more on the "jittery" side too. I like free verse a lot because there are no rules!

      Delete
  10. For some reason I can hear a music track with this. It sounds like a country song! How neat.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.