Thursday, June 19, 2014

You Can't Kiss A Movie

The image is from the 2007 picture Sunshine. It was chosen because I thought it stood out.

You Can't Kiss A Movie

You did your best once to connive
Me into loving you better
Than any man alive
But you can't kiss a movie

You certainly succeeded to intrigue
While the hours flew brightly by
You devoured me with your insatiable greed
But you can't kiss a movie

You were vehement that I should stay
But I kept my courage bright against each dark reproof
The only place I'll stay is far away
Because you can't kiss a movie

You cannot love someone who keeps himself
As remote as an image
Projected on a screen

~Helena~

Prompts used:


22 comments:

  1. An excellent take on the prompt. I really enjoyed reading this.

    Thank you for joining the challenge

    Regards
    Jez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena,
    Nice voice! Even in text written on a screen, I can still hear a soul in these words. If you aren't already, you might want to try being a slam poet, what with the power and precision that you have. Well played!
    ~Andrew, of 2LittleLives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew. If I were 20 years younger, I might try being a slam poet. Alas, I prefer coming home and taking a load off to going out at night at this juncture in my life, and my voice is far too "country" to be taken seriously in a Vlog (who would take Howdy Doody's slam poetry seriously?) but I do appreciate the suggestion and the visit. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea..as untouchable as a burning sun..but needed..i think the conclusion is very wise..

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'You cannot love someone who keeps himself
    As remote as an image
    Projected on a screen'
    I love these lines they are so true. well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you can't...someone who is remote is not a giver...hopeless...give him the toss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Best decision I ever made, though painful.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. WOW!! I love movies... but true you cant kiss a movie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though sometimes it would sure make things easier if you could. Then you can shut it off when you're done!
      I think that may have been awful of me to say!

      Delete
  7. But you can dream. How intoxicating movies have been over the years and how many beautiful stars have I fallen in love with. You must admit they have helped in teaching us some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myself, I don't much care to dream impossible dreams--except those that I write. Which are often more nightmares than dreams.
      Thanks for visiting, on behalf of Helena. :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh, yes. I have known men like that. Fun to look at and hang out with in short doses, but ultimately not very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a wise man (Robert Palmer) once said, "a pretty face don't make no pretty heart."
      Thanks for visiting, on behalf of Helena. :-)

      Delete
  9. I tried.

    Nineteen years.

    I believed if I believed in the idea of the movie strong enough...it would be enough.

    It wasn't.

    I'll never, ever do that again.

    Brilliant writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, me either. I was with the wrong guy for 21 years. I cried my eyes out the day I made the decision to end things, but I knew it was the right decision. I couldn't endure his cheating and emotional abuse any more.
      Five years later I met the right guy when I was least expecting it! :-)
      Helena's (the poem's author) ex husband was a drug addict. The substance always comes first for the user who hasn't gotten things under control.

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.