Wednesday, April 24, 2024

April PAD Challenge + NaPoWriMo 2024: Day 23 & 24

 



Hello Poetry People! I fell down a Norse and Slavic mythology rabbit hole yesterday. We'll get to that as we go along.

First, I used this Maximum prompt as the inspiration for taking my poetry ambitions to the Maximum and writing a sweet suite of four poems instead of just one poem for each day.


Let the prompt take your poetry to the Maximum too!


The final Twofer Tuesday prompt for this challenge asks for a Heart of the Blank and/or a Blank of the Heart poem. I went with Heart of the Rage and Rage of the Heart.


The NaPoWriMo prompt for the 23rd suggests participants create a superhero poem. Well, nuts to that! Go big or go home, I say. I went full-on Goddess. 

I probably did a search for an angry goddess and was given Skaði, a lesser-known Norse goddess who just can't catch a break and is pissed off about it. Don't tell her I said so, but it's probably best to choose your husband based on criteria other than having good-looking feet. Skaði thought she was getting Balder, but she ended up with the sea god Njörðr, and they were a terrible match. She didn't like the sea and he didn't like the mountains. 


I brought in this plovers and sandpipers prompt to create a Rage of the Heart Tanka to describe Skaði's dismay at being stuck on the beach in her husband's domain.

Making my rounds through the goddesses, I learned about the Western Slavic goddess Marzanna, who is drowned in effigy every year on the first day of Spring. I wrote a Heart of the Rage Tanka with this ceremony in mind.


I used the following prompts to write a cheeky Senryu in which I compared a mistake on my mind to bed bugs on a summer night.



The NaPoWriMo poem asks poets to begin with a line from a well-known poem and then go their own way. I started with "shall I compare thee to..." and went straight off the rails!


Lastly, I used the above prompt to write a Haiku about mandarin ducks migrating in autumn.

Come back tomorrow to wax poetical with me again.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~

Image by Lilawind from Pixabay
An owl for all seasons


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.