Image by Klaus Becker from Pixabay
Good afternoon, Poetry People. Or whatever it is wherever you are.
Our poetry prompt from Day 7 of NaPoWriMo
Leads us to the List of Famous Hats, a prose poem by James Tate (1943 - 2015).
In conjunction with the poetry prompts from the April PAD Challenge
write a poem that smells.
write a small poem.
The title of the poem is The Smell of Death. Sounds cheery, right? It is, I promise.
One of my favorite songs is That Smell by Lynyrd Skynyrd. The title of the poem was inspired by the line "the smell of death surrounds you."
Here's the link for whoever needs it.
I felt inspired to create another Haibun today. My subject for this Haibun is the ills of factory farming. I drive by several feedlots on my way to Fort Collins, and the horrible smell coming from them makes me ill.
I live in a rural area. We see plenty of cows grazing in fields. I do not know if the cows we see are beef cows or dairy cows. All I know is whatever their purpose, the cows in the field are much happier than those forced to live amid their own waste.
I can't share my Haibun here because I am intending to submit it for potential publication in an anthology and publishing it anywhere else will render it invalid for consideration. So I will instead direct you to The Meatrix, an entertaining and educational website about the damaging effects of factory farming.
It is not the intention of the creators of The Meatrix to scold visitors about their carnivorous ways. They educate consumers on how to responsibly source their Cheeseburger in Paradise.
I continue to differ with Jimmy Buffett on the best way to cook a Cheeseburger in Paradise. Jimmy likes his medium rare. I prefer mine medium well.
I purchase my meat from a butcher in Fort Collins who gets his supply from farmers committed to ethical care and treatment of their livestock.
The meat I buy here is much better quality than anything I could find in the grocery store. My son and I have also drastically reduced the amount of fast food we consume during the last five years. Almost everything we eat is made at home.
Here's Jimmy Buffett to tell you all about that Cheeseburger in Paradise. Dang it, Jimmy, now I'm hungry!
Here's the link for those of you who can't see the player.
~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~
Free use image from Open Clipart Vectors
"How do you want your burger, Hangry?"
Free use image from Pixabay
"I want it on my plate NOW, Ornery!"



No comments:
Post a Comment
We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.