Thursday, December 2, 2021

Once Upon a December 2021: Once Upon a Yesterday

 


Once upon a December yesterday

We shattered each other's hearts saying unsuitable things

I press my eyelids closed and try to remember

Standing by your side as the cardboard sea rose and fell

Butterflies danced in my soul, and I wanted to swim away in your eyes

Violet, sapphire, sage, and all the colors of the broken rainbow

You seemed to drink me in as I told you stories of my strange life

The longing look you gave me made me feel bubbly

As if my spirit danced to the music of eternity

Before I met you, I always felt like a secondary character in my own story

Suppressed memories from my traumatized younger years caused my soul to splinter

I hurried in a flurry on a hedonistic flight

Chasing each new escapade as if resting was a crime

Endless adventure and celebration were my cross to bear

Playing the part of the lost soul to perfection

My addiction to adrenaline a drain on my psyche

My mind lacked cohesion at the moment in time when you found me

Dumped near the milestone where I gave up hope for better

I was hanging on by a thread as slippery as spaghetti

Not much wanting to live but not quite ready to die

Like I was lost in a corn maze when the state fair left town

On entering a tunnel, I left hope by the roadside

I threw in the towel and gave up on the world

I swore that never again would I give my heart

But I melted in your hug because it felt like you meant it

I laughed when you ran through the sprinkler like a kid

We teased and joked as we lounged together

Shivering in the cold trailer, trying to stay warm

When you took the garter from my plus size thigh

I couldn’t believe that you could like what you saw

My insecurity was a thorn in your side

I understand now that you really tried

I sometimes still feel you when I’m driving alone

When I need someone to love

You’re the only one I think of

From now until eternity

I hope that you are thriving on the other side

For Gem

369 words

prompts used



Prompt: Never Again








The prompt was to write something to do with corn. The phrase "corn maze" appears in the poem.


Prompt: On entering a tunnel


Prompt: Write a "yesterday" poem



The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)



Creative Commons License


This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

Come check out Readers Roost, the online book store featuring works by indie and small press authors. Discover your next great read at the Roost! It's the link you need when you wanna read.

Want more poetry?
Get it here!

Buy me a coffee

Or buy me a coffee here

Join me on Odysee

Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.

Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox!

11 comments:

  1. For a while I was trying to guess what story you were alluding to — but as you went on it became clearer it was one of your own, in which, as you say, you felt like a secondary character. Interesting way to interpret the prompt. And the poem is powerfully moving as it takes through details and moods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! The typos one sees in the split second after hitting Publish!
    *takes us through

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Not much wanting to live but not quite ready to die' strikes a chord. This is sad, and beautiful and a fine tribute to someone who is forever mourned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love is the straighter and depth charge which measures differently our dark ways and days. Various persons fulfill the role but love is the agent. It does make for interesting poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many emotional lines i like.. especially "Standing by your side as the cardboard sea rose and fell" and "Before I met you, I always felt like a secondary character in my own story"....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I do not find the proper words for a com(pli)ment. Be sure I read this twice, and I shall come back to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So moving, especially when one reads this poem of remembering is to one on the other side. I know that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this..To be loved like this in a life is good fortune.Something that can sustain you even though the person has passed. The garter on the super plus size thigh gave me a giggle

    ReplyDelete
  9. The loss is heartbreaking. But it is good that the speaker can hold on to the good memories. I know memories aren't enough to live on, but they surely help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is sadness and familiarity with this as I've known much of what you're alluding to here.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.