Thursday, April 22, 2021

Sail Me to China

 

Qianhu Miao Village
Image by 波 胡 from Pixabay

winding river of time

Every year one more piece of the past

Floats away on the winding river of time

I watch the last ones travel, serene before my eyes,

And drink in bitter dregs of sorrow

Birds nest in the tree outside my window

April winds blow cold between the tombstones

I make a conscious effort to find joy in this sad world

For everything would be lost if there were no happiness at all

72 words


Winding River ~ Du Fu

“Each piece of flying blossom leaves spring the less,

I grieve as myriad points float in the wind.

I watch the last ones move before my eyes,

And cannot have enough wine pass my lips.

Kingfishers nest by the little hall on the river,

Unicorns lie at the high tomb’s enclosure.

Having studied the world, one must seek joy,

For what use is the trap of passing honour?“


now the notes

This poem is a good poem. It mostly obeys the rules--mostly. It checks most of the boxes. It doesn't make too many waves.

You are welcome to stop reading at the end of these Necessary Notes and call this visit good. However, if you'd like to follow this slacker by nature down a conversely overachieving rabbit hole, come along with me and see what other variations on Chinese poetry I have to offer. You needn't spend even one penny from your coffer, because, you see, this ride is free.

Image by beate bachmann from Pixabay

a momentary respite

many years have passed since I last visited a temple

or took a walk anywhere I felt at peace

I remember visiting the botanic gardens at night

The tolling bell calls the people to worship on Sunday

A tiny stream ran through the neighborhood where I used to live

There was a forest behind where green pines chilled the sunlight’s coloured rays.

I used to walk through woods or stream alone

Looking at the clouds I could see dragons playing


Stopping at Incense Storing Temple ~ Wang Wei

“I did not know the incense storing temple,

I walked a few miles into the clouded peaks.

No man on the path between the ancient trees,

A bell rang somewhere deep among the hills.

A spring sounded choked, running down steep rocks,

The green pines chilled the sunlight’s coloured rays.

Come dusk, at the bend of a deserted pool,

Through meditation I controlled passion’s dragon.“


the end of everything

as a child, I dreamed about the horse of time

now too many things fade into the past

I like seeing the moon shining in my window

It is as beautiful as the moon was in my childhood

Everything has changed so much in my old town

When my mother is gone, I will visit there no more

It brings back too many painful memories

Even with the passing of years, some wounds never heal


Oh When Will Autumn Moon and Spring Flowers End (The Beautiful Lady Yu) ~ Li Yu

“Oh, when will autumn moon and spring flowers end?

How many past events I’ve known.

The east wind buffeted my room again last night,

I cannot bear to remember the bright moon of the old country.

The marble steps and carved balustrades must still be there,

The people’s rosy cheeks are all that’s changed.

How much sorrow can one man have to bear?

As much as a river of spring water flowing east“


the birds

I don't hear too much from the birds outside my window

they fly to and fro, perching soundlessly

I slowly knit a headband and a scarf

from multicolored yarn, gold and red like autumn

I will never again try to weave romantic love into my life

better to be lonely alone than lonely in love


Crows calling at Night ~ Li bai

“Yellow clouds beside the walls; crows roosting near.

Flying back, they caw, caw; calling in the boughs.

In the loom she weaves brocade, the Qin river girl.

Made of emerald yarn like mist, the window hides her words.

She stops the shuttle, sorrowful, and thinks of the distant man.

She stays alone in the lonely room, her tears just like the rain.“


hope for today

I must drive, so I hope it will not snow

60 miles to the veterinary hospital

night will fall regardless of what happens

my cat behaves the same as she ever did

If I could drink wine, I would

I look at the birds outside my window

when my cats are gone, I will have no more

my heart is still an open wound from those lost before


Flood ~ T’ao  Chien

“The lingering clouds, rolling, rolling,

And the settled rain, dripping, dripping,

In the Eight Directions—the same dusk.

The level lands—one great river.

Wine I have, wine I have:

Idly I drink at the eastern window.

Longingly—I think of my friends,

 But neither boat nor carriage comes.“

~cie~


https://dversepoets.com/2021/04/20/poetics-china-kingdom-of-the-poem/

These poems and the following prompt comes from the D'Verse Poets Poetics Challenge for 22 April 2021.

The Poetics’ Challenge here is: Select any ONE of the above poems and with as many re-reads as you need, imagine what the poet has painted, what impressions are conveyed. Then:-

reinterpret the poem in your own style

OR for those of you who prefer a classical form then:-

2. re-interpret the poem in the Chinese LUSHI style

eight lines long of couplets – The first couplet should set-up the poem; the middle two couplets develop the theme, the final couple is conclusion

each line must have the same number of words, either 5,6, or 7.

a mono-rhyme is on every even-numbered line

Caesura (a pause) should separate clauses.

WHICHEVER STYLE YOU CHOOSE YOU SHOULD:-

use the same title

not re-use more than a very few (if any) of the poet’s words

cite the poet at the end of your post. [Alternatively, parallel the original with your own poem- by using a 2 column layout]

OTHER PROMPTS USED


Day 21: Write a (Blank) Me poem.

https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-poetry/2021-april-pad-challenge-day-21

Since I'm working with Chinese poetry, I settled on the title Sail Me to China.


Day 22: Write a nature poem.

https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-poetry/2021-april-pad-challenge-day-22

There are references to nature in these poems.

(Sometimes I wish I could throw Grammarly out the window and just bloody well write without red lines appearing all over the place.)



Day 21: Use a line with a repetitive set-up such as "when the..." or "'twas like" as in the poem "There Was a Man of Double Deed."

https://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-one-6/

I didn't do this.

Day 22: write a poem that invokes a specific object as a symbol of a particular time, era, or place.

https://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-two-7/

I didn't really do this. I used the tree outside my window as a repeated point of reference.

https://pensitivity101.wordpress.com/2021/04/22/three-things-challenge-576/


Write about the month of April.

The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)


Creative Commons License


This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

Want more poetry?
Get it here!

Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.

Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox!

2 comments:

  1. These are enchanting! I think you have really caught the flavour of the old Chinese poems – as well as fulfilling the requirements of various other prompts at the same time. I was brought up on Arthur Waley's translations of Chinese poetry which I always loved, so it is great delight to me to encounter these poems here, both the originals and your own.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.