Thursday, October 19, 2017

OctPoWriMo 2017: Day 16: Defying Fear

Photoshop manipulation by The Real Cie

i
will always
be amazed by
how gracefully you handled
the very worst of diagnoses
being told that you would lose
not only your life but yourself
you must have been afraid
as smart as you are
surely you knew
there was no miracle cure
no happy ending
but you never let it show
you were more concerned 
with not becoming a bother
than with what was happening to you
i'm so very sorry
i wish there was something
i could do to reverse
the deterioration
to let you be
yourself again
but i'm afraid
the only way for that to happen
is for you to be free
of a body
with a brain
that no longer
works for
you

Love,
Cie

Note:
The prompt today was fear. I have always thought one of the worst things that could happen would be to develop dementia. As Glen Campbell's widow said, it's better to die some other way. 
Malcolm Young handled his dementia diagnosis with unbelievable grace and dignity. A lot of people decried him as being a rather uninteresting person. I never saw him as such. He was shy and came from humble circumstances. He wasn't given to bragging about himself or strutting around like a peacock. Personally, I found his lack of bravado impressive. 
Malcolm was truly brave as opposed to being a puffed-up poser. He stood only five foot three but never backed down regardless of the size of his opponent. Sadly, the processes which cause dementia are not something that even the bravest of souls can win against.

This is my favorite of the angel wing manipulations I made a couple of years ago. I think it expresses the truth of the relationship between these fellows, who are, in my opinion, two parts of the same soul



1 comment:

  1. One of my fears, that I will have my memories stolen before I can write them all down. That my thoughts will leave before I'm ready to go. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.