Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Sympathy for Nyarlathotep

 

Image copyright Yuuki Morita
Click to enlarge

forever liminal
the pinnacle of greatness
he is not a person
although he could appear to be one

composed of many layers
there is no line he wouldn't cross
he will stop at nothing
to feed his needs

consider his tendency
to inspire madness 
unknown is the oracle
who can stomach his true appearance

he is that most powerful spirit
guarding the stairs to the stars
those believing themselves worthy to join his tribe
always tumble to their doom

Nyarlathotep's nature
is ultimately not his fault
he was spawned by primordial chaos
he plays by ever-changing rules

~cie~




Oracle

Liminal-

relating to a transitional or initial stage of a process.
2.occupying a position at, or on both sides of, a boundary or threshold.

Stop

Tumble

Tribe

Greatness

Person

Layers

Line

Consider

Tendency

Stomach

Duly Noted

Nyarlathotep is the creation of H.P. Lovecraft, initially appearing in his 1920 story of the same name. He is my favorite of the Outer Gods because of his malleable nature. I feel that the chosen image represents Nyarlathotep perfectly. He is both beautiful and terrible and those foolish enough to attempt to command him will wind up descending into madness.

My vision of Nyarlathotep has developed over many years of admiring and working with the character. His function is to grant wishes. The epithet "be careful what you wish for because you may get it" applies in spades where Nyarlathotep is concerned. 

Nyarlathotep absolutely enjoys causing madness to those who deserve it. He generally does not have to work very hard to achieve this end. He gives his victims the rope and they hang themselves. My version of Nyarlathotep, however, can also be just and generous. He loves granting wishes for those who are genuine and sincere in their intent.

There is a gray area for supplicants who summon Nyarlathotep out of desperation rather than lust for power, money, or other obsession. There will always be a price, but it is never one's soul or sanity. Nyarlathotep will probably come to collect at an inconvenient time because that is what tricksters do. 

Nyarlathotep has many offspring. My version of Nyarlathotep has a daughter named Yadira to whom he is deeply devoted. This snarky sorceress is the result of Nyarlathotep's marriage to his one true love, Queen Nathicana of Zaïs, a character initially appearing in Lovecraft's 1927 poem Nathicana.

The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)


Creative Commons License


This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

Want more?
Get it here!

Join me on Odysee

Odysee is an open-source YouTube alternative where you earn LBC (a form of cryptocurrency) for viewing videos and documents. You can also share and sell your own work. Most of my work on Odysee is free, and I sell my full-length compilations and stories for half the Amazon price. A tip as small as 5 LBC (approximately $0.15) really helps support my efforts.

1 comment:

  1. I like your poetic description of Nyarlathotep. I had not heard of that Ancient One I've some of Lovecraft's works, certainly not all of them. I also got a Lovecraft type of vibe from the prompt image. It's been a cool change of pace to write a story in that weird/horror category.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.