Self portrait 1, Version 10
By Cie
My life
Squalid mobile home
Some of the residents
See it as a palace
Cozy and comfortable
They sleep at the foot and the head
Of the one who realizes
This place is a manifestation
Of a broken life
Filled with broken dreams
Which lie dead in a broken heart
It’s not easy living with a broken mind
The one who possesses that mind
Only keeps going
To give the middle finger
To those who broke me
~Cie~
Prompts Used:
Cross-Posted To:

Killer close.
ReplyDeleteThanks. 😁
DeleteThere is so much power in the sense of disconnection that runs through this poem. And the change of point of view at the end, emphasizes the "broken" mind very effectively.
ReplyDeleteAlthough broken, I keep kicking. Sometimes I can kick pretty hard.
DeleteP.S. I'm glad you republished this poem here. I tried to comment on the other blog, but wasn't able to. ♥
ReplyDeleteThe first link was a mistake. I had cross posted the post to my tumblr blog.
DeleteThis is deeply sad.
ReplyDeleteWell, as one of my therapists said, this ain't the Disneyland planet. Maybe I will go to that one in my next life.
DeleteThank you, Cara/Cie. I needed this, so many others need to read it too. And I can identify with so very much of it, from sleeping (me on the porch on a couch/bed, frost on my covers in winter) to suffering from a very abusive father (I will never forgive him, even in the next life--St. Peter can't make me). But I've recovered, to an extent.
ReplyDeleteLike the Hawaii surfer's saying, "You hang tight, Cara." ((((HUGS))))
..
Thanks Jim, I am glad you see it that way. A lot of people seem to get angry when anyone reveals a darker truth. I always appreciate reading the real experiences of the rejected of this world.
Delete:) Cara
Delete..
This poem taps deep into one's perception of self.
ReplyDeleteI guess I see it as being brutally honest. Most people only see the surface.
DeleteYes, that closing reminds me of the line the best revenge is living well. Keep that middle finger strong, kiddo!
ReplyDeleteWill do. Thank you! :-)
DeleteAs you said in your comment.. not Disneyland... still there is some health in that middle finger I think... there is resistance in despair.
ReplyDeleteIn this lifetime, anger has been a pretty big motivator for me. A lot of people can't understand that. Anger helps me to not give up. I don't mean hate, because hate is poison. It's more of a righteous indignation. I deserve to be treated with dignity too, although I am not pretty or desirable in any way and I have psychiatric issues.
DeleteI could not figure out the other blog so was happy to see this link. Very sad, with a heap of strength and attitude added.
ReplyDeleteThe other link was a mistake. I didn't intend to use it in the Linky. Not great at multitasking, me.
DeleteAs long as I have my attitude, I will survive.
Bravo!!
ReplyDeleteIt's hard when everything is broken, and the system seems to be set up to break us when we most need healing.
ReplyDeleteAin't that the truth. For instance, the company I work for managed to royally screw me over with insurance. My insurance was canceled because of a mistake and now I can't re-enroll until November. So for the time being I'm stuck with this really crappy insurance that doesn't cover doctor's visits, medical testing, or prescriptions, and I'm paying nearly $300 a month. The system will screw you at every turn.
DeleteVery striking image, Cie, and you know I can relate to your words. <3 Illsa
ReplyDeleteThank you, Illsa. Always sorry when someone else has to know how it feels, but glad to be in such good company.
Delete