Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo
Hidden Treasure
A Love Story
Mine is a journey taken mostly alone
Awaiting forever for the arrival of one who might understand
I hear the clock chime in the supposed house of the holy
As I arise for the evening to ingest my lonely meal before heading off to work
I hear people laughing outside, and I sigh sadly
Wondering what it might be to have someone to laugh with me
I make my way into the night, hearing my heart beat
Thinking it might fall silent at any moment, as heavily as my loneliness weighs upon it
All at once I see something on the corner
A creature pale and plain, with a scar upon his face
Looking like a forlorn stray cat at once afraid of and desiring companionship
A ghost in the light of the lamp, made nearly invisible by the snow
Everyone else passes him by, seeing nothing
But I acknowledge his presence, and a smile graces his forlorn face
Like me, he has been alone in the world for what seems like countless years
I invite him to accompany me, and together we walk on
Nobody else can see my one true friend
A simple spirit pale and plain, overlooked by the majority of passerby
But beautiful to me, scarred face and all
Bringing color to my once gray world, and love to my once lonely heart
Sometimes the things ignored by the majority
Because they are not overtly eye-catching
Are in fact the most beautiful and fetching
Because they are the realest things of all
~Cie~



It is good to find a companion who nourishes us and accepts us as we are..they take many forms..but essentially they come from inside us...we can be our own best friend..although being our own worst enemy often feels easier...a powerful and honest poem..many parts of which resonated loudly ..best wishes to you
ReplyDeleteI tend to be my own best friend when I'm hypomanic and suddenly think I'm the coolest person that ever existed, usually for a couple of hours. Then I do or say something stupid, and I'm right back to hating myself. Thanks for visiting, as always!
DeleteMaybe those good hours will get longer and longer....we wish we wish ;)
DeleteI'm almost fifty, will always be bipolar, and will always have the history of psychological abuse that I have. Judging by recent events, I may only have five or ten good years left before I develop some kind of crap dementia. I highly doubt things will improve that much for me. But thanks for the thought.
DeleteI don't understand this commenting system - I've tried three times, and each time my words disappear!
ReplyDeleteA heartwarming story.
Viv, I think it may be partially because we have comment moderation engaged. Sorry, but we get trolls, so we have to filter comments.
DeleteThanks for stopping by, on behalf of Cie.
The real companion, a friend always think and feel your heart., and after all do we really need someone approval? we're enough and entitled in everything! ~ Warm greetings for New Year! x
ReplyDeleteI don't think I was thinking about gaining approval so much as losing loneliness, which has fairly well been my constant companion in this life.
DeleteThanks for stopping by.
You've given us lots to think about with your piece. The message in the last stanza is one we should all ponder.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :-)
DeleteFolks, this is a love story. I know we're all supposed to be able to find fulfillment in ourselves and all that. When I write, I'm touching on something deeper than psychology, a primal need that we all have even if we've been taught to deny it. That's what this is about, not whether or not I approve of myself. I approve of myself inasmuch as I can, given my history. If I didn't approve of myself that much, I wouldn't be writing. I write what's within. I kind of hope that people reading this piece might see the love story between the lonely human character and the lonely ghost character and think "that's nice," not "Cie needs to learn how to approve of herself." I'm almost fifty, and I may be living on borrowed time. It probably isn't going to get any better than this.
ReplyDeleteI saw the human character and the ghost character and reacted strongly to the love story. I find a great deal of depth in what you write, and for me, that is more than enough.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Thank you very much. It means a lot.
DeleteA thought provoking piece of writing, which I can relate to. Well done. A very happy new year to you.
ReplyDeletePamela
Thank you. I'm glad it touched you. :-)
Delete