Saturday, May 31, 2014

Shadorma: Shadow Memories

C) Jen from Blog it or Lose it!

Shadow Memories

Memories 
Of a ghost of a
Dream of a
Wish that I
So wanted to make come true
Was it just a lie?

~Lily~

This poem was created using a Mindlovemisery's Menagerie Prompt. The prompt word was Memories. A shadorma is composed of six non-rhyming lines (sestina or sextet) and the syllable pattern is 3-5-3-3-7-5.  It can have as many stanzas as you like, just as long as each stanza follows the syllable pattern mentioned above . 

I write the poem in memory of my father, who would be 78 years old today. However, it is not about him. It is about a love gone sour with someone who committed suicide a long time ago.
My father was a professor of English literature. He instilled in me a love of reading and writing. He died at the age of 74 after a long period of physical and cognitive decline. I truly think the worst thing he suffered among the many things that went wrong was the destruction of his mind. He suffered multiple strokes which eventually resulted in dementia as well as severe physical handicaps.

~L~


10 comments:

  1. How often one wants the best for a loved one. In a situation like this even ordinary episodes mean a lot. Not a lie but a natural thing that afflicts old age. Very moving Lily!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. A what a lovely Shadorma. My father suffered several strokes in his early sixties. Glad you had a person of influenced to give you the passion to write....you write beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strokes are awful. They take away the abilities of the body and mind. I'm sorry your family had to go through this.
      Idiopathic hypertension runs in my family. I take blood pressure medication. My father was one of those people who never went to the doctor unless he was half past dead. Sadly, by the time the hypertension was discovered, he'd already had the stroke.

      Delete
  3. haunting questions often return with our memories and you've expressed that so well in this wonderful shadorma. Thanks for your contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully haunting, Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad to hear about your father, my grandfather passed away a long time ago (1998), but I recognize a lot of his last years in what you say about your dad. As for the poem, I really enjoyed that as well... Have to wonder what a Shadorma about your father would have read like, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CC. I'll have to try writing a Shadorma in memory of my dad sometime. I ended up writing a different poem for him instead.

      Delete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.