Friday, July 26, 2013

The Butterfly in the Cemetery

The Butterfly in the Cemetery

I don’t remember
If the butterfly at your memorial service
Was teal
Or monarch
It flew towards the horizon
While the bagpipes played Amazing Grace
Mom believed it was a sign from you

~Cie~

Dad
May 31 1936 - November 28 2010 

18 comments:

  1. My dad loved butterflies. They appeared at crucial times in his very short and utterly unexpected illness this month - Painted Ladies were our sign. We all dressed in bright colours at his funeral this week to celebrate his life.
    Thank you for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tribute to your dad and to colours all at once. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right from the heart. I like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for stopping by and commenting. It means a lot.
    Butterflies and cats were my favorite creatures as a child, so they have special meaning to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freya, I am sorry about the loss of your father. He must have been quite an interesting person if he inspired a colorful funeral!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad, beautiful, vivid--you've pulled us right into the memory. This is a lovely piece, Cie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and touching, but also a bit sad. I cannot hear Amazing Grace without tissues. It is of some comfort to interpret something as signs from loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janna. The cynic in me says "signs from loved ones, what a bunch of malarkey," but I've had experiences that make me believe that there's something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful memory you shared. Thank you for linking up. Please remember to return for the voting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Debbie.

    Thank you for reminding me, Trifecta. Yeah, you know me and my forgetful brain!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.