The Same Mistake Twice
Twenty-five years passed
Since the time I saw you last
You sent me a letter
Saying you were in town
Wondering if you'd see me 'round
Hoping we could meet
I convinced myself that you'd changed
That you had gotten better
But like every other sweet word
It was all a lie
You said you'd ditched the booze and the coke
You said you no longer even smoked
You said you'd learned your lesson
About playing around with hearts
I thought you'd come clean
But I discovered the truth
You weren't any better now
Than you'd been in my youth
You said you weren't tied down
You made me look like a clown
You took off your ring
In hopes of a fling
Turned out you'd married a stripper
Your fourth wife, I hear
Glad I found out
Before I let you get near
Near my body, that is
But you still invaded my heart
Even when you'd gone from my sight
Thoughts of you tore me apart
I know that you're all wrong for me
You're all wrong for everybody
The women you meet are nothing but toys
Who fall for the sweet little wounded boy
Your wife is your mistress
You like to engage in group scenes
With her, pornography, booze, and cocaine
And anyone else foolish enough
To walk into your snare
I've learned my lesson
I'm never going back there
But the heart is an illogical thing
And sometimes it still conjures up
Dreams of you and me
And what I once thought could be
~Tempest Nightingale LeTrope~
The prompt asked us to use another poem for inspiration and continue on the theme.
I tend to do everything in a really roundabout and convoluted way, because:
My inspiration points were the tribute poem to Ronnie James Dio written by Spectra Ghostseeker, Ronnie's song Rainbow Eyes, Sheryl Crow's song My Favorite Mistake, and the fact that there's no expiration date on stupidity. Even at my age, a person can still put on blinders and convince themselves that something bad can be good.
The tone of your voice was a warnin'
That you don't care for me anymore
I made up the bed we sleep in
I looked at the clock when you creep in
It's six a.m. and I'm alone
Did you know when you go
It's the perfect ending
To the bad day I was just beginning
When you go all I know is
You're my favorite mistake
Well, your friends are sorry for me
They watch you pretend to adore me
But I'm no fool to this game
Now here comes your secret lover
She'd be unlike any other
Until your guilt goes up in flames
Did you know when you go
It's the perfect ending
To the bad day I've got used to spendin'
When you go all I know is
You're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake
Well maybe nothin' lasts forever
Even when you stay together
I don't need for ever after
It's your laughter won't let me go
So I'm holdin' on this way
Did you know, could you tell
You were the only one
That I ever loved
Now everything's so wrong
Did you see me walkin' by
Did it ever make you cry
You're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake
You're my favorite mistake



I absolutely love this, you can feel the emotions throughout -just brilliant.
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly. :-)
ReplyDelete"you weren't any better now
ReplyDeletethan you were in my youth." Man, I think we can ALL relate to this feeling. Very evocative work today :)
Thank you Quinn, on behalf of Tempest. :-)
ReplyDeleteI never made the same mistake twice, but I did make the mistake of holding onto the wrong one for way too long.
so heartfelt .. and yet never bitter .. Most such memories flip you !
ReplyDeleteExcellent narration :)
Thank you Nimue, on behalf of Tempest.
ReplyDeleteTempest is my cousin and has had more than her share of bad luck in the field of romance. She has a biting sense of humor and is surprisingly not bitter even if jaded.