Friday, October 4, 2013

Not Very Gentle

 
I'm pretty sure
That if my inner self
Was a flesh and blood child
I'd be taken away from myself
 
The verbal and sometimes physical
Abuse that I have inflicted on myself
Over the years
Is anything but gentle
 
Love yourself, they say
I am hard pressed
Even to like myself
 
I've become slightly better at it
In my middle years
Nobody deserves the cruelty my inner self endures at my own hand
Not even me.
 
~Blooming Psycho~
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Hmm. I don't think you deserve such treatment. As the prompt says, be gentle on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is clever in that it scorns self abuse, then delivers a self abusive line to close, albeit passive aggressively, instinctively... "Not even me."

    I like :D x

    http://iurl.no/7c054

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. The analogy of the inner child being abused is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last stanza. Actually the whole piece is really quitegood but the last stanza really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words! :-)
    I am a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The opening stanza really caught me...unexpected, drastic. As for gentility, I think we're all hardest on ourselves. I like the ending...which is both gentle and not. The realization (in the poem) is that the inner self doesn't deserve the abuse but the phrase "not even me" still has some of that negative self-abuse in there.

    It really does capture that complex love/hate relationship we sometimes have with ourselves. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, who needs enemies with the abusers we have in our own heads. This poem grabbed my attention and didn't let go until the end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your poem speaks for many of us who have battled with self-abusive behaviors, both physically and mentally. I love the conclusion you come to with this - that no one deserves it, not even me. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This lovely poem speaks to me! May we all be gentler to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate to this. My first thought when I read the prompt was how NOT gentle I have been in the past. Keep the faith, find your worthiness, everything you need you already have :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brutally honest and those last lines cut through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to thank everyone on behalf of Bloomy for your your kind comments. I know that when she is able to read them, she will surely appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.