Monday, October 7, 2013

Simply Adam

 
Simply Adam
 
A happy, chubby little fellow
The third of his parents’ children, their only son
He loved hugs and kisses and laughter
Maybe his family spoiled him a little because he was the baby
But he didn’t think he was better than anybody else
He was simply Adam
 
A good-natured kid, he was well-liked at school
Nobody gave him too much grief about being chubby
Because he had balls
Footballs, basketballs, baseballs
He was a good sport
He was simply Adam
 
As he approached puberty, he realized something disturbing
While a lot of his friends had started to notice girls
He thought of girls as nice enough
But oddly had no interest in being anything but friends with them
He didn’t want to kiss or hold their hands
It worried him, and he didn’t understand
He was still simply Adam on the outside
But he felt like there was part of himself that he now had to keep hidden
 
He was a faggot, a pervert, a queer
He wanted to be touched by a guy the way most guys want to be touched by a girl
When his friends looked at girlie magazines, he pretended that he was interested too
But the truth was, he had x-rated thoughts about young fellows
He was curious what it would be like to kiss a boy
Everyone else thought that he was still simply Adam
But he felt like a horrible monster
 
His middle sister, his best friend, noticed that something was going on
She asked him why he stayed in his room so often
He made excuses, but she saw through him
He finally confessed the truth to her through his tears
She told him that it didn’t make him bad, just different
“Everybody’s different in their own way,” she said
She was the only one who understood
But it helped him to become simply Adam again
 
In high school, he was a wrestling champion
He didn’t get aroused by groping other guys
Or roughly forcing them into compromising positions
But he certainly liked the awards he sometimes won for his performance
He also liked music and fashion and drinking beer with his friends
He felt like a phony sometimes because he couldn’t tell his friends the truth
But he didn’t want to stop being simply Adam to them
 
In college, he found others like himself, and he came out
For a while he overcompensated, partying too much
Drinking and cocaine and falling for the wrong guy
On the way, he found himself
Quit the drugs and the clubbing
Settled down and became
Simply Adam again
 
Today, he is a counselor
He is happily engaged to the right guy
He is a brother, a friend, a lover, a son, an uncle and great-uncle
He is okay with who he is
He is simply Adam
And he is glad of it at last
He hopes that one day no-one will feel ashamed of being gay
That they will be able to simply be themselves
~Adam~
 
I simply have to share this with you. It was part of the Write at the Merge prompt. It doesn't directly fit in with what I've written, but it will let you know a little more about me. I love stuff like this! It's crazy and it shouldn't work, but it does.
Also, the fiddle player is kinda hot! ;-)
Enjoy!
 

 

9 comments:

  1. A tough subject, which you've portrayed effectively, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know what to say...all I can think of is one of my good friend who tried to commit suicide as he was different. I had to do a lot of counseling so that he doesn't feel bad about himself. Being a gay/ a lesbian is nothing to be ashamed of. We are all human beings after all..may be our sexual orientations are different..so what?. A good poem indeed. Glad that I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic. I loved this poem. We are all always striving to be "simply Adam."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words, on behalf of Adam. We never know when he'll be able to show up again as he's a pretty busy guy, but I know he'll appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, bold, and inspiring, Adam. Thank you for these thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enough said. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this! I loved the repetition of "simply Adam" and the journey both away to and back to yourself. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you TMW and Angela, on behalf of Adam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam, you know how proud I am that you're my brother. This brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that I was able to make a difference when you needed it.
    Love you forever!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.