Friday, December 2, 2022

First and Last Memories: WEP Challenge



I can't remember
the first time I saw your face
I was a squalling goblin

I remember well
the last time I saw your face
your earthly struggle finished

I recall winter
a time of painful beauty
you always loved the holidays

42 words

For my father

May 31, 1936
-
November 28, 2010

With love from your Ornery daughter

Image by Gustavo Belemmi from Pixabay

I'll always remember the Christmas when I was 10 years old as the best Christmas ever. Somehow, everything just came together as it should that year.

The father owl in the image has bright blue eyes. My father had blue eyes as well.



 notes
Major points only, I think. The work is kind of personal.

The poem is a Choka, a form of Japanese poetry used for storytelling. I chose a 5-7-7 pattern for the verses.



12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy. Hugs.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute.
    Wishing you love, joy, and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte - it is a worthy poem and post for your father - sadly they die too soon. My thoughts for a peaceful season and hopeful time ahead - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poignant and powerful. Well done. Treasure those memories this holiday season. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - thank you for introducing us to your father ... bright blue eyes ... with sad and happy memories ... pity we can't remember our thoughts as we appear into this world as 'a squally goblin' - as we all do ... and thank you for sharing a form of Japanese poetry - Choka - with us. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unique and poignant take on the prompt. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting for the Dec Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. A very moving tribute, saying just what needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there. Ornery Owl! This was so poignant in so few words. Loved it. Really touching and I love that first stanza when you were a 'squalling goblin'.

    Thanks so much for participating in WEP. You are a valued member.

    Happy holidays!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. I love the poem. So many beautiful emotions spun in a few words. Thank you for introducing us to Choka.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful and heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing something so deeply personal and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, with three caveats.
Be cool, Fool.
Don't be rude, Dude.
Don't be a prick, Slick.
That's all, Saul.
I try to get comments published as quickly as possible. I don't always reply to comments on my blog, but I do try to visit as many people as possible when I participate in blog hops and I share links where possible to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and such so others can discover your work. I do read and appreciate your comments.